Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Squiggly lines on monitor

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Software Developer
26-Nov-2010, 04:25 PM #1
Squiggly lines on monitor
Hello all. I couldn't find a better place to put this, so I chose here. My problem is that when I first got this computer (specs are in my profile), I hooked it up to an old 19-inch monitor and I noticed squiggly lines. It did this with two older 19-inch monitors in two different places (completely different buildings). Purchasing an Acer X223W fixed the problem for about 9 months until I started seeing the same lines, but only when running hardware-accelerated 3D applications. The same games and other 3D applications I had been using the prior 9 months didn't have this problem before. At the native resolution for this monitor, 1680x1050, the games will start out usually okay (except for the thick vertical lines moving from left to right of screen when in menus), then in gameplay I will notice thin straight lines moving from the bottom left to the top right. After about 30 minutes, the lines will start getting more and more squiggly, thicker and more blurry, and then progress to the point that they're extremely random. When I close the game, they stay on the screen for about 3 minutes until they go back to the barely-visible 2/3-pixels-thick horizontal lines moving up or down the screen (it's hard to tell). When I first boot up after it being off for many hours, I notice the thicker vertical lines moving horizontally across the screen for a little while (they aren't visible enough to be too distracting, but pretty annoying). Now for the kicker. Screen capture doesn't get the lines; the screenshot it produces is perfect. This leads me to thick it's not the GPU, but instead something on the parts feeding data to the monitor. Perhaps the VGA port on the computer is bad. And besides that, changing the refresh rate anywhere from 59.0hz to 60.0z (by way of nVidia custom resolutions) produces different results. For instance, 59.3hz has the same bad lines when only on the desktop that 60.0hz has only when playing lines. 59.7hz has lines about the same as the 60.0hz setting. Even changing the resolution to 1024x768 with 75hz refresh rate has terrible lines. When trying a Dell monitor with this computer, I did notice the thicker vertical lines only when in the menu of games, so maybe it's tied to the framerate somehow. (Mind you, vertical sync doesn't fix it either.) But with that monitor, I didn't notice ANY lines while in-game. I have not yet tried this monitor with another computer, but like I said, it did it with two older 19-inch monitors and still had the vertical lines on the other newer 22inch monitor when in game menus but not the bad lines in-game. I haven't cleaned the computer with my air compressor since I got it about 9 months ago, which I will be doing soon. Though the dust inside isn't that bad. I have two speakers on opposite sides of my monitor, but as I stated before, it also did it in two different buildings with no speakers near it. (although one building had a bunch of monitors around the monitor we tried it on, so I'll be trying a different room in my house) Speedfan shows my GPU idling at 68 C right now, and I've been using the computer for 3 hours without playing any games. Last night after playing a game, it idled up to 2.5 hours afterward at 72-73 C. Under full load, I've had the GPU at about 82 C while playing Company of Heroes, but it'll play most games and not go over 75 or 79 C. I've attached pictures I took of the monitor while trying Minecraft (not using screen capture). I'd really like to know if any of you have experienced or seen this before, and if you have any other ideas as to what it could be. Thanks very much in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Squiggly lines on monitor-misc3-329.jpg   Squiggly lines on monitor-misc3-331.jpg  
Junior Member with 27 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Nov-2010, 04:29 PM #2
what game is that?
Junior Member with 27 posts.

26-Nov-2010, 04:45 PM #3
CRT or LCD? Could be your graphics card, try switching it out with another one and see if that fixes it, or maybe you have a bad cord, are you using analog or digital? please post your system specs
Computer Specs
Member with 11,403 posts.

26-Nov-2010, 05:44 PM #4
If your power supply is actually only a 220W power supply That might be a place to look at. 220Watts is really underpowered for the specs on the computer. I would first off suggest a power supply upgrade to at least a 500W quality Manufacturer unit. At the Acer site, I cannot find an X3300-U1332 Closest I can find is an M3300-U1332. If the specs on your computer are the same though you have a PCI-e 2.0 slot so you could try a different Video card rather than the onboard video to see if it corrects the problem
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Software Developer
26-Nov-2010, 07:20 PM #5
Hi. Thanks for the quick replies. The monitor is an Acer X223W LCD. The cord I'm using is analog. I tried switching it with another cord before, and that didn't fix it. The system specs are on my profile. Also, the 220W PSU is what came with it from factory. I can't imagine they'd give it a PSU that can't support the system. If they did, I'm going to be even more angry. Also, I would need to find a small PSU to fit in the case. The case is 1/3 the size of a regular desktop. It's lovely what details they hide from you while selling a system. I guess I shouldn't have trusted them and should have looked at it myself.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!