Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dead Wet Laptop

(!)

Junior Member with 10 posts.

30-Nov-2010, 11:34 PM #1
Dead Wet Laptop
I was wondering if there was any way to revive a laptop that got a little OJ spilled on it.

A little got on the keyboard and some more seeped under the computer. I didn't do anything right away, but looked on another computer as to what I should do. After looking for a while and not finding anything I attempted to clean the laptop as best I could; taking letters off the keyboard and cleaning them, then wiping the plate, and drying the underneath. After that I let it sit. It was on at the time of the spill and plugged in, all the LED lights were on, but the battery light changed to orange. I didn't want to do anything that may mess it up further, so I didn't unplug it or remove the battery or turn it off, and after a while it turned off on it's own. I let it sit for a little longer before thinking it was dry and tried to turn it back on... nothing.

It's about a week after the fact that I'm posting this... is there anything I can do to revive my computer? or is it completely dead?
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Nov-2010, 11:38 PM #2
About all you can do is take it apart and try to do more extensive cleaning.
I saw a milk spill once that prompted me to remove the keyboard and take a look. There was so much evidence of damage that I didn't go any further.
Best of luck.

02-Dec-2010, 12:17 PM #3
What do you mean by extensive cleaning? how I clean is a very slightly damp rag...

and another question, if it is completely dead, what parts would be salvageable? I have a friend that likes to build computers and he may be able to use some of the parts.
Member with 11,605 posts.

02-Dec-2010, 12:28 PM #4
Only real savable part would be the Monitor screen maybe.....as the CPU would only fit very few boards....maybe the memory....the Motherboard probably has some damage to it so I would not trust that.

"What do you mean by extensive cleaning" slowly take it apart a piece at a time and clean it

It maybe underneath the Battery ...I would take the battery out and see
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

02-Dec-2010, 02:01 PM #5
Just what Megabite said. If you want to have some real fun, remove the HD, battery and the optical drive and the screen and just throw the whole damn thing in the dishwasher. Can't do any more ham and might help. I've cleaned keyboards and motherboards this way with much more success than failure.

02-Dec-2010, 10:18 PM #6
HOLY FREAKING COW!

With extensive cleaning via damp rags (I was wondering about the damp rags being sufficient BTW) and many hours, I tried plugging my comp in with the charger, no battery, and turning it on.

IT WORKED! beyond all odds and any hope.

But now there are a few problems:

1. The LED lights on the front won't work.
2. The touchpad isn't responding at all/very much; I can barely get the mouse to move, I finally gave up after about 20 mins of trying to navigate my desktop icons and used tab-tab-tab-tab-tab-tab-tab-tab-tab-enter. As a side note the left button is stuck and I can't/don't know how to free it.
3. I seem to be missing the Internal Card with Wireless Bluetooth Technology as shown here: http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1180150... I don't remember doing anything with it and I can't find it anywhere, so I don't know if my noodle is failing me, or if it's an extra I didn't get with my laptop... ideas? I'm connected to the internet so that's good, I don't know if I really need Bluetooth.

Help on the 3 items above

Haha, were you serious about the dishwasher?

Nevertheless, THANK YOU!!!
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

02-Dec-2010, 10:28 PM #7
I'm dead serious about the dishwasher. Electronics have been cleaned in water for a long time, and the dishwasher has the advantage of relatively high pressure and tolerable drying temperatures. A lengthy drying time preceded by a good shaking to remove excess water is essential.
I don't know how much time you've wasted so far, but the dishwasher might start to look pretty good after a while.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Dec-2010, 04:01 AM #8
Hows the water pressure in the washer, strong enough to knock off components on the mainboard?
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

03-Dec-2010, 05:31 AM #9
??

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxhaxorz View Post
Hows the water pressure in the washer, strong enough to knock off components on the mainboard?

03-Dec-2010, 12:51 PM #10
I believe he meant 'is' instead of 'how,' and then no comma.

Any ideas for my 3 questions? I really want to know why my touchpad is suddenly unresponsive when I didn't touch it... and how the clicker got stuck to... and how the LED lights aren't working when I didn't touch them.... and above all if my brain is deteriorating!!! I'm too young!
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

03-Dec-2010, 02:58 PM #11
I can't vouch for every board or component, but the dishwasher has never done any harm to anything I've put in it.
The critical component of this is to dry very thoroughly.
In some cases I've used warm, soapy water and a soft brush.

03-Dec-2010, 07:04 PM #12
Ok, belay the 3 questions then, I'll make it one.

I fixed the LEDs after I realised the cable wasn't in all the way.
I found out the built in bluetooth is optional and I didn't get it.
I fixed the touchpad by doing more 'extensive cleaning' with new screws I found.

The problem came when I was cleaning underneath the left/right buttons, I found the rubber piece broken/cracked/worn on the left button side, so I replaced it with a spring from a pen that I cut down to size. Gluing it in place I found the left button springs back, but no response comes from it although I can still double tap the pad for a left click.

Any ideas on why my left button won't work and how I can fix it?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!