Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

I have to push the reset button everytime i turn my pc on.

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 95 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Dec-2010, 12:49 PM #1
I have to push the reset button everytime i turn my pc on.
I have to hit the reset button every time I turn my computer on. After i hit the reset button everything comes up just fine. But every morning when i get up I turn the power to my computer on and it has a blank screen the two DVD drives blink and the hdd led stays lit up bright. but then when i hit the reset button it comes up just like normal. can anyone tell me why this is? It's not affecting anything that I can tell just annoying. I do not have to go into BIOS and change anything after this occurs. Windows starts just like normal and there does not seem to be any thing else wrong with my pc.

Thanks for the help guys this site is the best!

the system specs listed are current
Account Disabled with 6,319 posts.

04-Dec-2010, 03:09 PM #2
It's probably time to change the CMOS battery on the motherboard.
Sounds like it is getting weak and causing the bios to hang.
Had the same problem on one of my computers.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,285 posts.

04-Dec-2010, 04:38 PM #3
It does not sound like the CMOS Battery. If it were you would have to reset you BIOS Settings every time you boot up. To me it sounds more like a Power Supply problem. IMHO Ultra is not a top brand and may be the problem. To check this you could simply connect in a known good power supply to see if it corrects the problem.
Computer Specs
Member with 95 posts.

04-Dec-2010, 07:35 PM #4
I don't have a big enough power supply to test it with. all i got is a 350 is there any other way to test this ?
Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 18,565 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Dec-2010, 09:55 AM #5
Try cycling your TV/Monitor power on/off in lieu of reset button on computer. I had a new 20" Samsung monitor that was bad about not having image on boot, indicating it was not getting an analog or digital signal. I spent days trying to figure out the problem thinking it was everything from vid card, MoBo, PCI slot, PSU, XP OS, VGA or DVI cable, only to discover that a simple on/off of monitor would resolve the problem. Eventually moved it to another computer (which had same make/model vid card) and never had the problem again. The 22" ViewSonic that replaced the Samsung has never had a glitch - knock on wood.
in vino veritas - Old Yiddish saying, "If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there". "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." H. L. Mencken
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"Ignorance is not an opinion." - Dilbert
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!