Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Need Driver - Gateway - DVD-ROM

(!)

Member with 56 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Dec-2010, 01:16 PM #1
Solved: Need Driver - Gateway - DVD-ROM
I have a Gateway that I an currently attempting to install windows on. It will only boot to the log in screen and freezes. So i can not fix the driver the way that I have could over and over something about setting an upper and lower something to 0 or something. Anyway the DVD drive WILL open, but it won't read anything. I installed the Windows Vista Home Preimum disc onto a flash drive and have booted the computer off of that. I explains to me to that I'm missing a driver for my optical drive. this i know. It gives me the option to browse for it, but none of the drivers that I can find on the windows disc are compatable with drive

The Drive is
HL Data Storage
Super Multi DVD Rewriter
Model: GSA-T20N
(AGYKN0)
ROM VER: WG02AA

Made by Hatachi-LG Data Storage

I've looked and looked for this driver and have yet to find anything that doesn't require to have my windows functional in order to detect my hardware.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

05-Dec-2010, 01:44 PM #2
See if the fix suggested here helps: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd...problems/en-us
Computer Specs
Member with 11,485 posts.

05-Dec-2010, 01:44 PM #3
The problem is that the driver for optical drive is native to Windows and is a basic part of the system bios. There is no driver to download and install. It is very possible that the optical drive has died and needs to be replaced. Just because the drive can open and close does not mean that it is good. If you have a second computer you could try innstalling the drive into it and testing the drive.
Computer Specs

05-Dec-2010, 01:48 PM #4
By the way I am reading your post as, there is no operating system on the Gateway you are trying to install winndows on. Is this correct?
Member with 56 posts.

05-Dec-2010, 02:00 PM #5
Sorry No, there IS an operating system on it. Windows Vista Preimum, have attempted system restore but can not access it for some reason. and when i attempts to format the drive I can not either, the option is that but I can not click on it for some reason.
Computer Specs

05-Dec-2010, 03:29 PM #6
From within Windows you can not format the system drive.

Are you able to boot to the existing OS?
Member with 56 posts.

05-Dec-2010, 09:30 PM #7
I can boot the existing OS till the login screen, it will go just past that my state menu will apear, but not desk top iceas, Task manager will NOT open so i can not even access CMD. I am currently installing Ubuntu 10.10 over all the existing OS and will be going back and installing Windows Vista over that! I'm crossing my fingers, with any luck this should work, fixing both my not being able to boot my computer problem, and my computer not being able to read any disk's problem.
Member with 56 posts.

05-Dec-2010, 09:36 PM #8
Installed Ubuntu 10.10 still unable to read any kind of disc, must be a bad drive. Well at least I know what is the problem now.
Member with 56 posts.

06-Dec-2010, 01:45 AM #9
Ran updates for ubuntu and the drive now works. how about that...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!