Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Sudden Loss of Video Signal, Hard Drive Activity

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Dec-2010, 02:16 PM #1
Sudden Loss of Video Signal, Hard Drive Activity
This is my first build and it was going swimming for about two months but since late October/early November I've been having issues. Either A) my monitor will suddenly lose signal and my hard drive suddenly sounds inactive (no ticks/whurs that signal activity) or B) the computer restarts and stalls on the motherboard splash screen.

There are two times specifically when this occurs. The first is when I bring my computer out of hibernation. The above situation happens nearly 100% of the time within the first 10 minutes of awaking. The second is whenever I'm running a scan with Adaware. I might get 10 minutes in to the scan, I might get 20 minutes in, but sooner or later it's always kicks out. In both situations the CPU heats up from its usual high 20s/low 30s (celcius) to somewhere around 50 and draws 100+ W of power.

"Get a better power supply, it's kicking out because it's drawing more power than the PSU can suply" internet searches and my tech buddies advised. Well, I shouldn't need one. My build's specs aren't power intensive at all. But I did anyways. Now I've got a 700W OCZ PSU for what should be a <400W system. Guess what? Still kicking out.

I'm at my wits end, any ideas?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Dec-2010, 09:50 AM #2
Also, it seems as though if I leave it on for long enough periods of time while I'm away, it'll act like this as well.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
cpu, monitor, power

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!