Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Wireless Not Working

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
20-Dec-2010, 11:40 PM #1
Unhappy Wireless Not Working
Hi, I am trying to use wireless on my laptop, but it doesn't see any networks. I know that there are networks in range, because the other laptop (the one that I am posting this from) sees about 10! It says "No wireless networks were found in range. Make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on. To see an updated list, click 'Refresh network list.'" The thing is, I have searched and searched, and I can NOT find a wireless switch... I don't ever remember having to use one!

I tried re-installing the driver info for my wireless card (the stuff that came with the computer when I got it) and it gives me an error that says at the top iProlnst, and then in the error box says "ERROR - The version of the [iprodata\msxml6.msi] MSI is not complatible with the FamilyCode version in the INI file." (yes, it is spelled complatible in the error thing, not compatible )

I tried downloading the updated driver for it off of the Dell website, and that made it so that when I opened the window to see available networks, it said that it couldn't be configured by Windows, and to either configure it myself, or turn on the Wireless Zero Configuration service, so I did that according to the instructions at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871122. That's all done, and now it is just back to the original thing that says that there's no networks in range.

Here is the info from that TSG SysInfo thing:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) M processor 1.40 GHz, x86 Family 6
Model 13 Stepping 8
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 503 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R), 915GML Express Chipset Family, 128 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 33792 MB, Free - 17765 MB
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0W9260, , .9783481.CN12961581B4ED.
Antivirus: None

The wireless card that I have is listed as Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection in the Windows Device Manager under Network adapters.

Okay, I think that I have given all of the information regarding my computer and what I've done... please let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

Please help!!
Thanks
Katie

EDIT: I have continued looking for help just via Yahoo/Google, and one thing that I found is that there must be some way to turn on the wireless card via some key combo. Well, from what I can find, it is supposed to be Fn + F2, and that is not doing a dang thing. In the Network Connections, it says that the Wireless Network Connection is enabled, but not connected, and is firewalled. But the little light on my computer that is the wireless light (the one that is also on the laptop that I am on, that lights up when I have my wireless capabilities enabled and the wireless switch on) is not lit up, so I figure there is something wrong there!

Last edited by Kashegurl; 21-Dec-2010 at 12:10 AM..
Member with 1,312 posts.

21-Dec-2010, 01:38 AM #2
What's your laptop make & model?

Does your wireless card have a utility that is currently enabled? If so that can be your problem. Allowing Windows to handle wireless connections AND having a third party utility enabled - will cause problems.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
21-Dec-2010, 02:21 AM #3
My computer is a Dell Inspiron 1420.

And I'm not sure what you mean by does my wireless card have a utility that is enabled. How do I check?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
can't access internet, wireless, wireless card

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!