Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows XP: failed graphics driver update, won't boot

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Beginner
25-Dec-2010, 09:23 PM #1
Windows XP: failed graphics driver update, won't boot
I hope you can help me fix my dad's computer!! This site has helped me fix my laptop. I really appreciate you guys!!

On my dad's computer : I tried to update BIOS graphics driver per instructions for new larger monitor (which has not even been hooked up yet).

I went to the Dell website and entered the service code HPLW3G1 to find the graphics driver to update. I recall nvidia but now looking at the list that they have on that website, I am not sure what I downloaded. I saved it to desktop and then clicked to install it. I then got a small popup that said I must close all other applications. When I clicked ok on that little window - (so I could close the other applications that were open), it started installing anyway! I exited the install window (wrong thing to do? It said do not turn off power in red letters), closed applications. Then I restarted, because it didn't want to open google chrome.
NOW when I turn it on, the blue light on the on button lights up, sounds like the fan is running, but the monitor does not even respond, it goes into powersave mode. I tried another monitor, no change. The computer won't turn off, unless I hold the off button down for awhile. The wierd thing is that when the computer is unplugged, it comes back on when plugged in again. But there is never any flashing lights below the on button that indicates that the hard drive is working. I think this may be bad? I tried hitting F8 after turning it on, and nothing happens. It does not sound like the hard drive is working.

Dell Inspiron 531 Windows XP desktop
2 GB plus I think 2 more GB was added.
160 GB hard drive
Processor, Sempron, LE-1300, 2.3 512K, 1C, G2
Hard Drive, 160G, S2, 7.2K, 8M Lead Free, SGT-NH
Dual In-Line Memory Module, 1G 667M, 128X64, 8, 240, 2RX8
Dell SE178WFP flat LCD monitor 17"

I'm sorry, I looked up info on the rest of the specs this am, but I don't recall the type of nvidia card that is in it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
failed install, graphics driver, windows xp, won't boot up

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!