Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Help, Flash Drive Content Missing

(!)

Member with 49 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-Dec-2010, 03:28 PM #1
Help, Flash Drive Content Missing
Hi guys, I bought a 16GB Maxell flashdrive recently to save all my photos onto from an old PC I was getting rid of. Today, I think I may have wiped it or something.

My daughter has a Netbook (with no disk drive obviously) and I have been setting up our new wireless printer to all the computers in the house. To get round not being able to run the software CD onto the Netbook, I decided to put the disk in one of the other laptops, and copy the disk onto the flash drive.

Since I have done this, the Netbook and another laptop (both on Windows7) do not recognise the flash drive at all (it doesn't even appear on the My Computer screen), but the Laptop running XP recognises the Flashdrive on the my computer screen as "Removeable Disk E", but if you click on it or open or explore it, it pops up says "Please insert a disk into removable disk E". I can right click it and if I select properties, it is showing that all the space on the drive is used and there is no free space (my photos only took up about 8GB).

I really hope I haven't lost my photos.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,236 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Dec-2010, 03:55 AM #2
Hi,
I'm not sure what might have happened to the flashdrive, but while waiting for help on that issue why not to try to recover your photos? You could run a free data recovery prog such as Recuva http://www.piriform.com/recuva on the XP laptop. Recuva is often suggested here at TSG.

Then copy any/all photos it finds to that laptop as a backup and copy those to a new flashdrive.

Richard
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!