Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

hp Mouse won't connect

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 27 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Dec-2010, 03:00 AM #1
hp Mouse won't connect
I have a hp mouse for my laptop that won't connect to the usb port. I click the connect button on the bottom and a red light appears at the top. I've tried new batteries, I've tried holding the button longer. Not sure why it won't work. :/ The mouse is a hp wireless eco-comfort mouse - 5-btn mouse. The product# is FX287AA. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate.
Any ideas?
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,326 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Dec-2010, 10:18 AM #2
Here is the HP support and software site for that mouse that you should add and save to your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can refer to it when needed.

You didn't mention if you're using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7.

Have you followed the quick start guide and installed the driver software?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 27 posts.

30-Dec-2010, 02:47 PM #3
I'm running the 64 bit version of win7. I installed the driver for it and it still won't connect. Is the mouse itself messed up? It's only a year old. I don't feel like it would die that fast, would it?
Computer Specs
Member with 11,396 posts.

30-Dec-2010, 03:11 PM #4
I have had new mice die after only 3 months but then I have had them last for 2+ years. Are you pressing the connect buttons in the correct sequence? Some require you press the button on the mouse first then the reciever, though most I have require the reciever first then the mouse.

The mouse should connect whether the software is installed or not, the software is for added features of the mouse like customizing button functions and such.
Computer Specs
Member with 27 posts.

31-Dec-2010, 06:25 AM #5
The receiver doesn't actually have a button. It's a very small usb port. It's a laptop mouse so the receiver isn't made to be large at all (actually very nice because it only stick out about 1 cm from the side of my laptop, unlike many other mouse receivers). Still stumped on this problem. Red light keeps showing up. Other mouses work, so I know it's not the laptop. Also, I figure if the mouse was broken, the red light wouldn't come on, unless that's it telling me it's dead, in which case I should just buy a new one. Though, I'd rather not spend money right now, haha.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!