Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

500GB HDD format to FAT32 for PS3 Backup

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
31-Dec-2010, 12:58 PM #1
500GB HDD format to FAT32 for PS3 Backup
MY PS3 has broken again (Yellow light) and i decided to upgrade to a slim ps3. I then realised that i upgraded the hard drive to a 500GB Western Digital in my broken ps3 and when i do get it fixed i would like to make a backup of the data and transfer it to my new ps3.

I have just pulled a 500GB hard drive out of an old computer and put it into an external box so i can use that. MY issue now is that i cant get it to format to FAT32 so that the PS3 can read it.

i have looked around and only found people mentioning partitioning the drive, which wont work in this case as for some reason the ps3 only reads a single partition and therefore wont be able to backup to the disc. Another option i found was SwissKnife which was free when the article was written but isnt any more and i dont want to pay $9.99 for something that im only ever going to use once.

Is there anything else anyone can suggest?

Any help is appreciated
Computer Specs
Member with 458 posts.

31-Dec-2010, 03:48 PM #2
Think you will find its still free http://download.cnet.com/CompuApps-S...-10070864.html It doesent work on windows 7 but does in xp.I find to make it work in xp I run it in the compatability mode of windows 2000.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is online now cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,479 posts.

31-Dec-2010, 03:55 PM #3
Some possible solutions mentioned in an old thread on this site:

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/6...hdd-fat32.html
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 13 posts.

31-Dec-2010, 04:17 PM #4
thankyou for the help, i will get Swissknife running on my old laptop and format it using that.

Also, thanks for the other topic but its mostly about partitioning, which i cant do as the ps3 wont read it which is annoying because its easier to partition but oh well.

Thanks again for the help
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!