Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

"Input not supported"

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Jan-2011, 07:55 AM #1
"Input not supported"
I have a really simple problem. I wanted to set a higher resolution on my monitor and hten it showed the message "Input not supported". I coudn't see anything so i turned off my computer and put in my old graphics card. I want to know how can i change back resolution on the graphics card i used when i did this.
Thanks
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,538 posts.

04-Jan-2011, 10:55 AM #2
Turn on the computer and start tapping the F8 function key on the keyboard. Eventually the monitor should show a stable display with a Windows start selection menu. Choose start in Safe Mode and the Windows will start with a standard 640x480 VGA mode resolution. You can then change the display resolution to what you want.

FWiW, The "Input not supported" message was most likely produced by the monitor because it could not support the resolution and/or refresh rate you had chosen. You should have waited about half a minute without touching the keyboard instead of shutting off the computer. Windows XP has a default failsafe mode when changing display settings. It will change the display properties to the new settings and then shows a dialog box with a countdown timer. The dialog box asks if you wish to accept the new settings as a permanent change. If you do not accept the changes before the end of the countdown, the settings will revert to the previous values.
Computer Specs
Member with 16 posts.

04-Jan-2011, 11:51 AM #3
Thanks! Now i at least know my monitors capacities.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,538 posts.

04-Jan-2011, 06:19 PM #4
You're welcome.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!