Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

eMachines EL1200-05w Reboots constantly

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Jan-2011, 01:22 AM #1
eMachines EL1200-05w Reboots constantly
I have a eMachines EL1200-05w that constantly reboots, and I have no idea why.

It loads up to the Windows xp loading screen, and then shuts down and reboots again.

If I can provide any information to help diagnose the problem, I will, I just need some help !
Computer Specs
Member with 1,705 posts.

13-Jan-2011, 03:37 AM #2
Have you tried Safemode or Last Known Good Config? Once the XP splash screen appears tap F8 (hopefully you get get to the advanced Startup menu before it reboots).
Computer Specs

15-Jan-2011, 01:34 AM #3
Won't boot into safe mode, I get an advanced startup menu but it won't load any of the options. It just restarts again.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,705 posts.

15-Jan-2011, 06:46 AM #4
Then the only other options I know of would be to
1) Reinstall the OS
2) Run the repair from the recovery console (on the OS cd)
3) Remove the hard drive, plug it in as a secondary in another computer and run chkdsk /r
Computer Specs

16-Jan-2011, 02:09 AM #5
I don't have a recovery cd for the computer, but If I obtained one how would I run it if the PC shuts off before it can load anything?

Also, I received advice that told me to check the PC health status in the BIOS menu, and I am able to load this menu. The only thing that looked strange to me is that right under where it says "Shutdown Temperature 90*c/194*f" it gives a few values such as +3.3v and then to the right is has the number 3.32, but on the one that says +12v the number to the right reads only 11.70 volts. Has this ANYTHING to do with my problem?

I know I am not a computer genius, but as of this point I am completely lost.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,705 posts.

18-Jan-2011, 08:37 PM #6
The voltage and temps don't apply. The computer is rebooting while it's trying to load windows, so there is probably a missing or corrupt file.

If you obtained a cd, you would boot using the cd, (not the os, so it shouldn't shut down). Then in the windows installation menu, you can press r to go to the recovery console, and try the "chkdsk /r" command.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!