Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

WD5000c032 external drive

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Jan-2011, 05:21 PM #1
Question WD5000c032 external drive
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 64 bit
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 6133 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 320 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 596475 MB, Free - 448532 MB; D: Total - 14001 MB, Free - 1973 MB;
Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, Benicia, 1.01, MS1C95R42803303
Antivirus: Avanquest Double Anti-Spy, Not Updated

Have WD500 GB External drive with usb connection. Drive lights up but pc does not recognize drive with either XP or Vista (64bit). Tried different usb cables but still dive not seen. WD site says just reformat drive but if I can't see the drive how can I access it. Any suggestions are appreciated
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 14 posts.

20-Jan-2011, 06:40 PM #2
Is the device visible in Disk Management?

You can view this by opening Computer Management (Right click on Computer - Manage - Disk Management) You should be able to reformat the drive from there if it is visible.
Computer Specs

20-Jan-2011, 07:57 PM #3
Drive does not show in disk management or in device manager or in computer. Does not beep when connected to pc. XP or Vista OSs do not see drive. Case does not have any easy way to open to remove drive. I will try freezer method to see if I can "unstick" it
Computer Specs

20-Feb-2011, 04:20 PM #4
Freezer method did not unstick the drive. Tried the "drop test" but still no response from the drive. Trying to remove drive from enclosure but that is not easy. Don't want to use force to ruin the enclosure. Drive lights up but there is no response from the PC OSs. Drive does not feel like it is spinning. Seems like the only use now is as a door stop.
highspeed highspeed is offline highspeed has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 269 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Feb-2011, 09:05 AM #5
Tried it in another system? Also try a different OS.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

25-Feb-2011, 01:20 PM #6
I also have the same problem - tried different computers, OSes, cables ... The drive starts working but computer doesn't recognize it
highspeed highspeed is offline highspeed has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 269 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Feb-2011, 06:46 AM #7
When i went to the shop to buy an external hard drive, that was the only available ones there and I needed it urgently so I bought it and I bought it for the fact that it had a drive lock encryption on it but the connection is very bad. WD made their own special USB cable connection for it and also the most annoying part is that you can't open the drive enclosure so easily. It's very very very hard if you try it. I don't know if forcing it would render the drive useless but if I were you "Brirwood", since it doesn't work anymore after several methods of troubleshooting, I would try and take off the enclosure no matter what, just take the risk and see if you can open it.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
26-Feb-2011, 07:08 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brirwood View Post
Freezer method did not unstick the drive. Tried the "drop test" but still no response from the drive. Trying to remove drive from enclosure but that is not easy. Don't want to use force to ruin the enclosure. Drive lights up but there is no response from the PC OSs. Drive does not feel like it is spinning. Seems like the only use now is as a door stop.
How is the drive powered?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!