Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer Won't Turn on After Cleaning

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 23 posts.

Experience: Beginner
22-Jan-2011, 09:04 AM #1
Computer Won't Turn on After Cleaning
I really don't know a lot about computers and I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to solve this one on my own. But I figured I'd try anyway before I spend money bringing it into the shop. A few months ago I had my computer reformatted due to a virus. That's not my problem, the computer was working fine after that. But the tech told me I should clean the dust out of my computer every so often with compressed air. The direction he gave me was, open it up and blow the dust out. And that's what I did. I unplugged the tower, opened it and blew the dust out. I didn't touch anything in the computer. I plugged it back in after I cleaned it, hit the power button and nothing happened. It's in the same power strip it was in before and everything else in the strip is working fine. In retrospect, I'm thinking maybe I was too aggressive with the compressed air. Did I short it out? Could I have knocked something loose? Any info would be appreciated.

In case it might help, it's a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop computer.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 49,864 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jan-2011, 09:11 AM #2
Quote:
Could I have knocked something loose?
Yes, take the poer lead out - and take the side off - and check everything is seated correctly all the cables and and also any boards or chips plugged in to the main board

What happens when you switch on
any noise , fans running , lights etc , bleeps
Computer Specs

22-Jan-2011, 09:22 AM #3
Everything seems to be where it's supposed to be. No cables are hanging loose. I did check that all the plugs were pushed in. There's one area in the front of the tower that's difficult to get to so I didn't check those. But I don't think I could have knocked anything out, as it's difficult to get to.

Nothing happens at all when I push the power button. Though, when I plug in the tower the light in my room dims very slightly for a second. So I know power is going into it.
Computer Specs

22-Jan-2011, 09:25 AM #4
sounds like the power supply has gone - if nothing is working at all - No fans or lights in the machine.
or something is faulty in the PC and making the powersupply crowbar and shut down - its a case of now faultfinding by removing connectors etc -
do you know your way around a PC
Computer Specs

22-Jan-2011, 09:42 AM #5
Not really. I'd be nervous to start unplugging things for fear I'll forget where to plug them back in. I think it's best I bring it to someone who knows what they're doing.
Computer Specs

22-Jan-2011, 09:57 AM #6
ok - let us know the outcome - good luck
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
no power pc

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!