Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

No signal from PCI-e card OR onboard graphics after installing new card

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Jan-2011, 01:39 AM #1
Unhappy No signal from PCI-e card OR onboard graphics after installing new card
Hello there, I am doing some work for a friend on his new-ish HP computer. The specs it shipped with are:

HP Pavillion p6531p
Aloe H-RS880-uATX motherboard
AMD Athlon II X4 635 processor
6GB DDR3 memory
Integrated ATI radeon HD 4200 graphics
250 watt Bestec power supply

He wanted to upgrade the graphics for gaming, and ended up purchasing an XFX ATI Radeon HD 5670 brand new. Because it recommended a 400W power supply, he also purchased a second-hand-but-tested L&C brand 450W power supply.

He first replaced the power supply and reconnected all the elements of the motherboard and the hard disk and optical drive, and then booted up, and everything worked and displayed just fin with the onboard graphics. BUT...After installing the XFX ATI Radeon HD 5670 in the PCI-e slot he hooked the monitor to the DVI ouput on the card and rebooted. the computer appeared to reboot normally and all fans and lights were running appropriately, but no signal at all during the whole process from the graphics card. Not too unusual, right? But...

He powered down, took the graphics card back out and reconnected his monitor to the onboard graphics, then booted back up. This time, even though it had booted successfully in this configuration just a few minutes previously with perfect monitor signal, he got the "no signal" from the monitor.

We have since worked on this problem quite a bit to the extent of our abilities. The XFX card works like a dream when inserted into my computer. So does his monitor. But no configuration of power supplies (original or higher-powered second-hand) or graphics output ports seems to be able to send a signal to his monitor. Have also tried using a VGA cable in addition to the DVI, or turning the monitor on before the computer. Have also tried putting my old PCI cardin his computer and no output through it, either.

The last confusing element of this problem is that the lack of signal is not 100% consistent... more like 99%. When I arrived to take a look at the computer today, he booted the computer up with the new graphics card and the new power supply both installed, and voila, we got an image on the monitor showing the bootup screen and about five seconds of Windows 7 beginning to boot. Then, boom, it cut out with a "no signal" and we haven't been able to coax the signal back yet.

Any ideas? There's only so much I can possibly do without a functioning display. Please let me know any thought you may have, as this leaves us scratching out heads. If you need any more information from me, please ask!
Computer Specs
Member with 277 posts.

24-Jan-2011, 09:09 AM #2
Maybe a loose connection in computer or cable/monitor.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
ati, graphics card, onboard, pci card

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!