Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Best Laptop Manufacturer.

(!)

MicroAlex MicroAlex is offline MicroAlex has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Feb-2011, 06:51 PM #1
Post Best Laptop Manufacturer.
Hi everyone.
I decided to create this thread since the last similar post here was a long time ago.
Technology changes, companies go bust. So to help people decide what product they should consider of buying, I am asking you to take part in this.

So, whats the best laptop manufacturer?

Please leave a list of manufacturers from best to worst in the comments you want to mention.
Add a little description to your answer on why do you think some brands are better, and others are not. Try making it simple and easy for anyone to understand.
Don't just add your personal favorite based on the fact that you had one or two laptops of that manufacturer. I would like to see everything based on facts. The best comments would be from people working as a computer technician, support, consultants. But just computer users are also more than welcome to participate. Lets go global!
So it would be great if you would point out what is your status in the comment.
Every person gets one comment to give his opinion.

In your answers consider the following:
* Build quality.
* Prices of the products.
* Product support.
* Performance.

This is a list of manufacturers for this post:
* Acer ( other products owned by this company worth mentioning: Gateway, emachines, Packard Bell )
* Apple
* ASUS
* Dell ( other products owned by this company worth mentioning: Alienware )
* Fujitsu
* Hewlett-Packard (HP) ( other products owned by this company worth mentioning: Compaq )
* Lenovo
* Micro-Star International (MSI)
* Panasonic
* Samsung Electronics
* Sony
* Toshiba

Thank you for your time.
So, everyone is ready? Set, GO!!!
Member with 938 posts.

Experience: Super Dooper Advanced
14-Feb-2011, 04:31 AM #2
One mans Dell is another mans Acer.
Unless you have a lot of laptops or test them for a living,and its easy to rattle off a list of Lappies based on hearsay or tech reviews but most users tend to have just one at a time and learn from their own experience which Laptop is best for them.
In my case the Toshiba satellite, my wifes Apple macbook pro...and yes we do have that argument, PC versus Mac
Computer Specs
Member with 2,575 posts.

14-Feb-2011, 06:22 AM #3
Hey there, My dad has a business HP laptop that seems to be built very robustly. It has a nice large screen and it is pretty fast as well. I cant complain about the charger either as that has a nice chunky plug which is good to see.

Also from what I have in my house that is made by Sony I couldn't recommend them more to be honest. U have a Hi-Fi system made by sony that is about 12 years old and it sounds as crisp as it was brand new. Same with my TV and DVD player. I haven't got personal experience with their laptops but from what I have heard plus my experience with Sony I would guess they are quite good.

Jack-O-Bytes
K7M K7M is offline K7M has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 795 posts.

14-Feb-2011, 07:27 AM #4
I agree with oksteve, unless you've owned a lot of them, you are pretty much have to base your choice by hearsay. Mine are the following. A friend of mine has an Acer, and other than a battery that doesn't last long, she has had no problems. I have a HP, and have had 2 Compaqs, and all three have had motherboard issues. I have had 2 Dells, (still use one on my toolbox at work), and have had no issues. My favorite is my Toshiba. Found it in the town dump, it survived a house fire and a good dousing by the FD. It has been running for 2 years with no issues.
raybro   (Ray) raybro is offline raybro has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,811 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Feb-2011, 04:48 PM #5
I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop running XP Home. Its the only laptop I've ever owned. Bought it new in Nov 2007. Only problem I've had is the battery died in 2010. I use it as a desktop in that I have it connected to and external monitor, keyboard and mouse along with all the usual peripherals. I also use it in my small business needs in the field for data recording on small water well systems. It gets knocked around a bit and so far so good.

I'm the go to guy for others in my family when they have any problems with their computers. That involves 6 laptops. 3 are HP's 2 are Dells. The Dell's have the least problems. I've had to reformat 2 of the HP's and replace one hard drive. If you are looking for a rugged unit, the Dell Vostro is pretty good. My daughter has one and it a real snappy machine.

Raybro
Computer Specs
Member with 2,575 posts.

14-Feb-2011, 05:02 PM #6
Yeah I know someone with a Vostro 1000 it gets knocked about quite a bit but still seems to work. Very cheap if you buy second hand as well.

Jack-O-Bytes
MicroAlex MicroAlex is offline MicroAlex has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

14-Feb-2011, 11:52 PM #7
Thanks everyone for pitching in.

My personal favorites list goes like this:
Asus
Toshiba
Lenovo
Sony
HP
Acer

Asus is on the top of my list so far. Not many of them break down. Sometimes they have build defects, but thats not that often. Most of them work totally fine for quite a long time, and if they dont, Asus support is great (especially with Asus global warranty)! And the price is on the ok side. Also they are one of the top best in the market with high end performance specs.

Toshiba is also a great company, all the machines that they make are very good and break down rarely. The big down side is the design and the materials, but thats just me. A lot of people go for them these days.

Lenovo are expensive, but well build and more directed to professional work as I see them.

Sony are also expensive, but build nicely. Dont know much about support and didnt really saw any of them breaking often. But I find Sony a very good brand in many things that they make. The design is quite good also.

From my experience, I found HP's breaking down a lot, mostly small things (hdd, cable comes off) and probably because almost 4 out of 5 people have them in our country. They are not super expensive and have quite good performance specs for that money. Some new models have even a metal finish that makes them look more solid, expensive, classy. And it seems that the build quality is going up a bit. The older models felt less solid, cheap, and there were many problems with motherboards, overheating and other stuff.

Acer laptops feel a bit cheaply build, but most of the time the price is low and the performance specs are great. And I didn't saw many of the popular models breaking down. So I see Acer as a not bad, cheap solution for home use.

Apple products, well I dont really like them. They are way overpriced and the performance specs are quite low. The up side might be that the OS will not attract viruses to your machine, but then again its harder to get software for them and games. Though the build quality is rather good. The design is so simple, maybe thats cool in the way, but the overall product reminds me of a striped out car that they charge way too much for (but most of the time the performance of the them cars is way better, in this case the specs are low). In conclusion I see Apple as a expensive brand logo. But I guess its a matter of taste and what do you want from your purchase.
MSI machines seem to be not that badly build, but thats about all of what I know.
Dell products I dont really like. Some say the build quality is good, other claim its bad. I say its about average. From what I saw they dont feel solid, have some design and build flaws and look a bit cheap. They charge quite a lot for the products, dont know why, probably because they can. On the other hand they do their job quite well. Dell Alienware are also on the top with performance specs for making gaming laptops. But if you ask me they are expensive and a bit silly.

The other products that were not mentioned above, I dont have a lot of information on them.

So I would advice going with Asus (a bit expensive, but well build, and top of the range specs), Toshiba (more about middle in the price range, great build, great machine for the money) or Acer (the cheaper one, but got the specs to run with it).

Thank you for reading my long boring and probably not that accurate opinion.
Dont hate me for this

I am currently working as a computer technician.

Yours faithfully.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
best laptop brand, best laptop build quality, best laptop manufacturer, what laptop to buy

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!