Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

No signal from monitor after plugging VGA cable into Motherboard

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Feb-2011, 06:59 PM #1
No signal from monitor after plugging VGA cable into Motherboard
So tonight I shut down my computer and unplugged the VGA cable from my graphics card and tried to plug it into the VGA input on my motherboard. The reason for this was because I tried switched from dedicated graphics to integrated graphics (Long story). When it was plugged into the motherboard I tried switching my computer on and my monitor came up with 'no signal' and the light stayed orange. So I tried to plug The VGA cable back into my graphics card then I still got no signal!

II've tried everything from re-seating the graphics card and RAM to trying different monitors and cables. It simply isn't working and all I did was unplug the VGA cable from my graphics card into my motherboard VGA input. I can't post any detailed system info as I am writing this on my iPod (very time consuming!) as I can't even do anything on my computer. But my monitor was displaying everything perfectly fine before I unplugged my VGA cable (when my computer was shut down) I don't see what's causing this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Member with 7,794 posts.

19-Feb-2011, 10:19 PM #2
Try resetting CMOS with the MB jumper or removing the MB battery.
Computer Specs

19-Feb-2011, 11:28 PM #3
Just done it, and it hasn't helped. I really don't know what could be causing this argh!
Member with 7,794 posts.

20-Feb-2011, 09:27 AM #4
Beginning to sound like something "broke". Try removing your video card and only plug into the onboard video.
Computer Specs

20-Feb-2011, 09:45 AM #5
Wow that seems to have fixed it :/ The second I take my video card out and use on board graphics it's fine. Does this mean I have to replace my graphics card? I don't really fancy buying a 8800gt again thank you though norton this has really helped .
Member with 7,794 posts.

20-Feb-2011, 10:31 AM #6
Hopefully even though you reset it maybe BIOS was just screwed up.Boot up with onboard graphics. Press whatever key you need to go into Setup. Look for Onboard Devices which is usually a submenu (sometimes under Advanced) Change the Video option to PCI e. Save and shut down. Reinstall the 8800 and plug into it. Turn on computer
Computer Specs

20-Feb-2011, 01:55 PM #7
I don't see an option to go into onboard devices. I can go into an "advanced chipset features" menu then change the value of "PCIe root port function" from disabled to enabled but that's about it. Is this what you mean?

There's also a menu called "integrated peripherals" but it has no video option just "onchip IDE/sata device, onchip pci device, super-IO device and onboard pci device".
Member with 7,794 posts.

20-Feb-2011, 03:13 PM #8
What model is your MB?
Computer Specs

20-Feb-2011, 03:20 PM #9
Abit I-45cv. My old motherboard failed and this is the replacement for it. I didn't get to choose it a repairman just installed it and I have no manual or anything.
Member with 7,794 posts.

20-Feb-2011, 03:45 PM #10
The manual was pretty useless and I don't know what that first BIOS settings does. I do have a suggestion, but probably would suggest that you see if anyone else has an idea.

I think that your MB should automatically switch from onboard to the new card. You could put it back in and see what happens.

The problem with this is that you have video now and it would be a shame to lose it
Computer Specs

20-Feb-2011, 05:16 PM #11
I tried it and it still didn't work. Something strange that happens is that if I plug the vga cable into port 1 of the graphics card the screen comes on but stays black and the monitor light is green but it has a signal, just nothing comes up on screen (no writing/ splash screen etc).

If i plug the cable into port 2, the monitor light stays orange and the screen has no signal. No matter what I do though my computer still boots up fine as I hear the vista logo come up. I've always used port 2 though in the past.

So right now i'm stuck with on board graphics.
Member with 7,794 posts.

20-Feb-2011, 07:14 PM #12
Any way to try another video card or test the one you have on another system?
Computer Specs

20-Feb-2011, 11:14 PM #13
No I don't have a different computer or video card. This is really getting on my nerves all I did was unplug my VGA cable then my graphics card just doesn't give my monitor a signal and even if it does my screen just stays black!

Edit: I noticed my power supply fan isn't spinning. Could this have anything to do with this?

Last edited by Crispy911; 20-Feb-2011 at 11:22 PM..
Member with 7,794 posts.

20-Feb-2011, 11:48 PM #14
Yes it could
Computer Specs

21-Feb-2011, 09:24 AM #15
Hmm I hope it's just hope it's something in the bios I have to change. I tried disabling my onboard graphics then putting my graphics card in but that didn't work. I'm out of options ahhhh.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!