Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

PC Restaring by itself without any message and usb drives getting write protected

(!)

Junior Member with 17 posts.

25-Feb-2011, 04:09 AM #1
PC Restaring by itself without any message and usb drives getting write protected
Hi everyone,
For the past few days I am facing an issue that my pc restarts by itself after a while without showing any kind of message neither does it shows any message while rebooting regarding the CPU Overheating moreover the temp did not go beyond 58-59 C.
I scanned by pc with latest anti-virus including the boot sector and even i checked the startup option through msconfig, and i did not find out anything wrong there.
Since the time I am facing this issue i am facing one more issue that whenever i attach a removable drive like flash drive and memory card through card reader to my pc it says the disk is write protected remove write protection from it.
So, finally I decided to format the c: drive on which my os was loaded and after the same the issue of write protection to usb drives is gone but the restaring issue still persists
Please help and send some suggestions asap

Thanks & Regards
Peeyush Sharma
Computer Specs
Member with 562 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Feb-2011, 04:14 AM #2
operating system ?

25-Feb-2011, 04:18 AM #3
Oh sorry i forgot to mention the os, it is windows xp sp2
Computer Specs
Member with 562 posts.

25-Feb-2011, 04:27 AM #4
at the bottom of "your account" page there is sys info to scan your comp and allow us to see your computer specs so do that please

in the mean time

turn off comp at mains

open the side and check for fluff etc in the fans especially the cpu fan, clean with little dainty brush

write protection is/can be caused by iffy disc so start my computer C drive right click it properties tools error checking tick both boxes apply re boot ( it will take hour or more depending on size of disc)

do http://www.symantec.com/connect/arti...sing-dr-watson and change location of dump to a file on desk top for now , we will need these dumps attatching later on

26-Feb-2011, 09:50 AM #5
sorry i am not able to find the sys info part in the my account section,
meanwhile i changed the heat sink compound cleaned the sink, memory stick and the mother-board. I've checked the temp after changing the compound and it is not going beyond 55 C.
The problem mainly arises when i play games like NFS most wanted and counter strike which were running fine few months back.

26-Feb-2011, 10:08 AM #6
sir, I've followed the steps regarding creating the dump after system crash but when i play the game and the system restarts it is not creating a dump on the desktop or anywhere regarding the crash.
I even unchecked the option of automatic restart in case of failure under the start up and recovery option just to see the blue screen which shows the error code but it is not even showing that. I am totally confused what is going wrong. Can it be a cause of bad power supply.
Computer Specs
Member with 562 posts.

26-Feb-2011, 12:11 PM #7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316450

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/wind.../gg463009.aspx

Configure the dump type

To configure startup and recovery options (including the dump type), follow these steps.

Note Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
  1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
  2. Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
  3. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
could be poweer supply but unlikely unless you have hige graphic card , best to guve us some info

go to TSG go to "your account" go to edit details bottom of that page plus could do with your psu info.

also whilst doing that check your services to make sure you do not have 100s running

use http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/ run as administrator save a log post that back , close the programme then as no need to fix anything its just to see whats running

re task manager , right click task bar , how much ram are you using?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
restarting, usb

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!