Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Lexar JumpDrives

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Feb-2011, 07:45 PM #1
Question Lexar JumpDrives
OK, so I'm a newbie to this forum but I've been around a few years and for someone who isn't an IT professional I have fairly decent base of knowledge. I would like to find out more about Lexar JumpDrives so I am starting this new thread.
My specific question concerns a Lexar JumpDrive (128 MB) which I found in the back of my desk drawer. (Yeah, I know--how many people leave 128MB flash drives lying around in the back of a drawer? But what can I say. It was there.) The problem is that it appears to be fairly old since the User Guide PDF refers to the fact that the unit can only be used with an OS at the level of XP or above (as if XP were something "new"). Since I am running Win 7 on all 4 of my machines I had some doubts about whether the unit would work. Sure enough, when I double click on the Traveler.EXE file I get an error message saying that it "Is not Licensed to run on this device.". I think it has more to do with the OS than any true licensing issue.
I'm afraid I can't tell what version of the software is on the drive since it doesn't boot up, i.e., the program, and the User Guide appears to be a fairly general User Guide for Lexar flash drvies, however the executable file has a creation date of 1/2004.

So my first question is for those experienced Lexar JumpDrive users: While I'm sure I can re-format this puppy and have a clean 128MB flash drive, the description of the "JD Traveler" software sounds fairly decent with respect to encryption, private IE browsing & Outlook (although it only mentions Outlook Express, rather than full-blown Outlook or OWA. (Another indication that the drive is probably on the ancient side, relatively speaking.) So, first, can I download new software from a Lexar site which will make the unit run with Win 7? (I did go to the Lexar website but the Support section is a tad thin.)
Second, does anyone have experience using this software and/or these devices with the Lexar software, and if so, is it worth it to try to bring the drive up to snuff? Or am I better off just wiping it clean and using TrueCrypt and the like?
Third, the only posts I found on this forum concerned someone who was running a Lexar drive on a MAC machine and it appeared to die on her, which the Moderator seemed to conclude from her description of the drive but the Moderator also mentioned that the drives don't last that long, which I found to be curious. I'm sure 128MB drives aren't cheap so if Lexar drives have a reputation for tanking after 6 mo. or a year, why would people buy them?

OK, so if anyone can shed some light on these questions I'd be most grateful.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,308 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Feb-2011, 08:27 PM #2
The days of 128Mb capacity Flash drives has long past, at the time you are right they were not that inexpensive. But look at a 4Gb Lexar Jump drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820191278 , I can get them at my local big lots store for $8 - $10 I would say if you want to use it format it and use it, and if you encryption on it use what is available to you today.

They can last for long periods if they are cared for and not just dumped in your pocket with your car keys and loose change. I have 3 4Gb Jump Drives that I have been using for more than 2 years, but I have specific programs on them for trouble shooting, and the drives are locked so they can't be written to or erased by accident.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Feb-2011, 11:59 PM #3
Unhappy Flash Drives
DustyJay,
I big mea culpa on my part. I just looked at the 128 and thought GB even though it said MB. Big apologies, and even more so because I know better, having just acquired a 128 GB flash drive. That having been said, do you have any exprience with Lexar flash drives in particular? Also, did their JD Traveler software ever make it big or did it get eclipsed by the plethora of other encryption & synchronization programs? (My money is on the latter.) Thanks for taking the time to respond and I apologize big time for the gaffe.
PJSWriter
Computer Specs
Member with 11,308 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Mar-2011, 12:12 AM #4
I never used the software included. I have a few of the Lexar drives around, Mostly the 4 gig and 8 gig. I have used them,but as I said earlier, I do not do a lot of re-writing them. I keep testing and trouble shooting programs, and even a copy of my Acronis TruImage Rescue disc for use on Netbooks. What I use them for does not need encryption so have never tried it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!