Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

My Netbook will only charge to 92% ???

(!)

Member with 46 posts.

Experience: Beginner
27-Feb-2011, 12:39 AM #1
Question My Netbook will only charge to 92% ???
My Acer Aspire One Netbook works fine for the most part, however the last couple of days when I charge the battery, either while using it or overnight with the unit off, it will only charge to 92%. and the little charging led stays orange while charging and never reaches the blue color which indicates a full charge.

The unit is working fine. Any ideas as to what this might be? When I do have the unit plugged-in while using it if I hover the battery indicator it will say Plugged-in & charging.

Should I let the battery fully run down and then try recharging it? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Melissa

PS: When the battery indicator says 92%, is that an exact calculation?
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,654 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Feb-2011, 01:12 AM #2
My laptop battery use to do that, so what I did was to run in down as far as I could without running it dead. This is about when your computer would tell you that it was time to shut down or plug in and charge the battery. I did this three times in a row and now my battery charges to 100%. Hope this helps. How old is your Netbook/battery?

The 92% is a pretty close estimate of your battery charge. I also purchased a new battery for a spare just in case..
Member with 46 posts.

27-Feb-2011, 06:38 AM #3
Hi.... Thanks for your input. My Netbook is only about 10 months old. I will take your suggestion. I have nothing to lose. Perhaps it's some kind of a battery "memory" issue. I have heard it suggested that somehow these batterys have some type of "memory" of sorts. I usually never let my battery get below 50% so we'll see what happens.

Someone also mentioned to me that this is perhaps a sign that my hard drive needs to be reformatted. I will only consider this option after trying the "rundown" approach a few times.

Thanks again...

Melissa
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,654 posts.

27-Feb-2011, 12:01 PM #4
Melissa,
You are correct in stating a memory issue with the battery. The typical lifespan of a lithium-ion laptop battery is about 18 months to 2 years. By using the battery to a lower state you are in fact resetting the memory and hopefully will get it back to a 100% charge.
As far as having to do a reformat of your hard drive due to this battery problem I would not do this as I have not heard that this is the cause. I'm sure someone else here will confirm this or input there opinion on the matter.

Good luck
K7M K7M is offline K7M has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 795 posts.

27-Feb-2011, 01:54 PM #5
There is no need to reformat your hard drive. Do as captainron276 suggested. It is called calibrating the battery. I have had to do this to my older Dell on occasion.
Member with 46 posts.

01-Mar-2011, 09:09 PM #6
Hi... well after draining down the battery and then recharging three times I am still having the same problem. Now the battery will only charge to 91%. Now... since I'm home and I usually run the Netbook on AC I guess it's really no big deal but in the past it would always charge to 100%.

Should this be something I need to be concerned about? I don't notice anything different about the day to day performance of the unit except that it's only charging to 91% or so.

It was suggested to me by someone that on some laptops that there needs to be a BIOS update or something that could be causing this issue. Does that make any sense?

Thanks again

Melissa
Computer Specs
Member with 3,654 posts.

02-Mar-2011, 12:09 AM #7
How long is your charge lasting? Not sure on the Bios update having to do with your battery charge since from what I gather it use to charge to a full charge. It could be your battery is on it's last legs, would not be the first time a battery went in under a year
Member with 46 posts.

02-Mar-2011, 11:56 AM #8
Hi... thanks for your help. I don't really "time" how long the charge lasts. When I hover the battery icon it will say things like 70%, 3 hours remaining etc... and everything else seems to be normal. It doesn't seem to drain any faster but I was just always used to seeing a 100% charge.

Thanks

Melissa
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!