Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: How to install a new hard drive in a Compaq Presario C700 Notebook Computer?

(!)

Member with 1,085 posts.

05-Mar-2011, 06:32 AM #1
Solved: How to install a new hard drive in a Compaq Presario C700 Notebook Computer?
I have a Compaq Presario Notebook computer with a 137GB hard-drive. I would like to install a larger hard-drive in the computer, 500GB or larger. Does anyone know the best way to do this? Also, I was told that I need to put the operating system, Vista Home Premium, on the new hard-drive once I install it. If this is true, how can I make a copy of the operating system on a CD or thumb-drive? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
Computer Specs
Member with 562 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Mar-2011, 07:17 AM #2
Member with 1,085 posts.

05-Mar-2011, 07:45 AM #3
fel1x, thanks for the YouTube tutorial. The hard-drive removal and installation looks simple enough. (I really enjoyed listening to the young man describe how to exchange the hard-drives. At one point, he called the computer, "the patient." :~) Also, he had three laptops!) The young man in the video mentioned that HP didn't give him "permission" to change hard-drives. I am wondering if I will be able to change hard-drives on my Compaq which I believe may be a HP product? Also, I am wondering of all Seagate hard-drives come with the software to move the entire contents of the hard-drive being replaced to the new hard-drive? Also, I am wondering if there is a limit to the amount of storage that a computer can use regarding a replacement hard-drive? Or, are new hard-drives limited by the size of the hard-drive itself, being able to fit into the hard-drive slot in the computer. Anyway, thanks for the video. As they say, "One picture is worth a thousand words."
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

05-Mar-2011, 08:07 AM #4
Check HP's website for info on what that laptop will support for hard drives. Going to a 500GB drive is significant, and you may need a BIOS update if it will work at all.
Member with 1,085 posts.

05-Mar-2011, 08:46 PM #5
DoubleHelix, thanks for the suggestion. I'll check HP's website to see if there is any info there.
Member with 1,085 posts.

05-Mar-2011, 09:26 PM #6
DoubleHelix, I chatted online with a HP tech, and he indicated that my notebook will only accept a 160GB hard-drive. Please see below for part of our conversation:

I see that the notebook at maximum supports 160GB.

So, there is no way that the notebook could accept a 500GB hard-drive? What would be the problems of putting a 500GB hard-drive in the computer?

It will not be compatible and notebook will not boot into window.

Has this got something to do with the BIOS?

No, there is nothing BIOS can do in this regard.

You can go for external hard drive for your notebook.

What I would like to do is use my notebook as my main computer and not use my desktop at all. Rather than buy a new computer, I wanted to put a larger hard-drive in my notebook computer.

In this case, you can go for external hard drive or else you can go for a new notebook.

DoubleHelix, I imagine that what the tech wrote is true but is there a way to increase the hard-drive capacity past 160GB? And if not, what would be the reason? Thanks in advance.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

05-Mar-2011, 10:35 PM #7
The reason would be because the system doesn't support anything larger. With the fast pace of technology, there's not much incentive for OEMs to retro-fit old hardware for new technology.
Member with 1,085 posts.

05-Mar-2011, 10:46 PM #8
DoubleHelix, I guess this one is "solved." Thanks to you and fel1x for the help.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!