Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Hard Drive won't install Operating System

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Mar-2011, 06:22 PM #1
Hard Drive won't install Operating System
Hi

I am new to this forum so sorry if I post anything dodgy. I will also try to be as clear as I can

I have recently come into the possession of a Dell Dimension 3000 as it is a friends who is wanting some help.

When I received the desktop I found that they had been using Wintenals ERD 2005 as there OS. I therefore started by trying to install windows xp on the HDD. When I did so the initial setup went fine until it asks me to partition my HDD as the format is not accepted for windows xp. However when I put in an amount to partition the hard drive the screen just reverts back to the screen showing the unpartitioned space. This is the same for any number that I enter.
I then decided to try ubuntu seeing as it is free and is relatively easy to install. however when I tried this it comes up with an error saying that it is unable to create the ext4 partition #1 or something (sorry I will try and get the exact statement)

I am not sure if the issue is me being stupid or if the hard drive is dead or something weird but if any of you lovely people could help then I would greatly appreciate it
Computer Specs
Member with 355 posts.

19-Mar-2011, 05:48 AM #2
have you tried to put it in another computer as a slave drive then format it?
Account Disabled with 1,398 posts.

19-Mar-2011, 06:07 AM #3
First try to revert to factory settings using the hidden partition, if it's still there. On bootup press Ctrl + F11. If not then go with above advice.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
19-Mar-2011, 07:00 AM #4
Apply factory Setting if then not work properly then open and put in other PC and format.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

19-Mar-2011, 08:51 AM #5
Firstly wow! Thank you for the prompt replies. Now down to business. Sorry I may sound like a complete simpleton but how do I revert it back to its factory settings? and secondly where is the hidden partition?
Other than that thank you, you guys are great!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hdd, install, ubuntu, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!