Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: All of a sudden the audio stopped working

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Mar-2011, 06:13 AM #1
Question Solved: All of a sudden the audio stopped working
Hope I'm posting it in the right category -_-.

Anywho, my audio was working fine one day. The next day I turned my computer on and the audio had stopped working. My speakers were still plugged in correctly, there's power but no sound. I've tried to rewind my system but it changed nothing. I tried plugging my headphones into my computer and sound works there. I've tried to go to device manager and remove my realtek driver and let the system restart and let it reinstall. I've noticed it says I have two audio drivers, I don't know if that's the problem.
I've got "AMD High Definition Audio Device" (actually before it said ATI, but I went to their website to try reinstall the drivers though it didn't help) and "Realtek High Definition Audio".
So my speakers work fine and I take it there's nothing wrong with the sound card since my headphones work when plugged in. I've tried removing both the two drivers, let them reinstall on their own and update my drivers.

It'd be lovely if anyone had any advice.
Member with 2,536 posts.

25-Mar-2011, 10:37 AM #2
The correct place to get drivers from is usually the PC maker's website if it's for an on-board sound adapter.

Uninstall any existing sound drivers before installing the one from the PC maker's website.
Having more than one sound driver installed can cause driver conflicts & neither of them will work when that happens.
The wrong sound driver will also prevent speakers from working.

Obtaining sound driver direct from the sound adapter manufacturer (eg ATI) will usually not help because your on-board sound adapter requires a custom-made driver made specially for the PC manufacturer. Obviously, only the PC manufacturer will have that driver.
Computer Specs

26-Mar-2011, 01:01 PM #3
Thanks for your reply.

Both the drivers reinstalled themselves after the restart. I'm assuming I got an ATI soundcard since that is the driver that was on my computer when I got it but I'm not sure how to tell. How do I permanently disable one of the sound drivers and which one should I choose over the other?
Computer Specs
Member with 11,419 posts.

26-Mar-2011, 02:45 PM #4
The ATI High Def Audio Device refers to the sound portion of a video card with HDMI output. does your video card have an HDMI port? or the motherboard for that matter?
Computer Specs

28-Mar-2011, 11:00 AM #5
Hm, I have no idea /: but it's possible, it's not a very old computer. The realtek driver also says HDMI.
Computer Specs

31-Mar-2011, 06:05 PM #6
Hookay, my dear bro helped me figure out what was wrong.
I downloaded cpuz to find out what motherboard I had, what company, what model and chipset, and then went to their site and downloaded their realtek driver, which fixed everything. What I did first though was remove the two audio drivers installed without restarting my comp and then install the driver from the motherboard company, then restarted, let it restall both drivers, and problem was solved.

If anyone gets issues with evil Windows Updates that force audio drivers onto your computer when you already have one and then won't let you permanently delete it, just try this and see if it works x)!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!