Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Acronis won't recognize my new hard drive

(!)

Member with 95 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
03-Apr-2011, 07:29 PM #1
Solved: Acronis won't recognize my new hard drive
I purchased a new internal hard drive, put it in a hard drive enclosure, attached it to the usb and ran the Acronis program. Received message that I have to have a Western Digital hard drive in order to use the product. I took the hard drive out of the enclosure and put it directly in the laptop and put the original hard drive in the enclosure and attached to computer via usb but would only boot up to a black page asking me if I want to go to the safe mode, etc, or to the last known good configuration. No matter what I choose it brings me back to the same page and I realize that my computer is not booting up from my hard drive connected to the usb port. Before I take the new hard drive out of the computer I need to know what I can do to get Acronis to recognize the new drive and to get my computer to boot from the hard drive attached to the usb.

Also, in the Acronis literature it keeps saying that I'll be prompted to make a boot disk but that never happened. How do I go about getting that?
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Apr-2011, 07:59 PM #2
Are you trying to clone the old to the new or just make an image? I think you must be using the Western Digital version of Acronis...which is free but only works with WD drives (to clone or image from) I think. Also, you cannot boot to the USB drive in the enclosure...eSATA might work. You could get the free trial version of True Image Acronis which should be able to image any drive but its restricted from cloning. Also see the EaseUS image tool which is free...as well as many others.

So you will need to put the old drive back in the computer and use a image/clone program that is not restricted...or maybe you can find a western digital drive and attach that by usb and it would work for the other drives?? I don't know just how restricted it is.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,404 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Apr-2011, 08:11 PM #3
The WD Free version of Acronis Tru Image (Known as Disk Wizard) will work if only one of the drives is a WD Drive. Sam with the Seagate version of Disk Wizard (at least one drive must be a Seagate or Maxtor drive).
Member with 95 posts.

03-Apr-2011, 08:11 PM #4
Cloning
Hi Fairnooks, Yes I'm trying to clone the old drive to the new. I purchase a Western Digital Hard Drive and went to their site to get the Acronis to clone (that's what it said it did at the site) but I got the message from Acronis that a Western Digital hard drive must be present to use the product. I checked My Computer and the New hard drive was there but Acronis didn't see it.

I don't know what imaging is. All I wanted to do clone my old drive to a bigger drive.
Member with 95 posts.

03-Apr-2011, 08:34 PM #5
One of the drives is the new Western Digital plugged into the usb port but Acronis doesn't recognize it. Here's the Western Digital Hard Drive page for the Acronis download. As you can see it clearly mentions cloning. http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...l.asp?swid=119

Should I just use the separate Acronis trial version.
Computer Specs

03-Apr-2011, 10:14 PM #6
Problem may be that it won't recognize the new drive attached thru the USB Port. Are you doing this on a laptop or a desktop computer?
Computer Specs

03-Apr-2011, 10:16 PM #7
sorry just re-read your op it is a laptop.
Member with 95 posts.

03-Apr-2011, 11:44 PM #8
After going through all the trouble of installing the trial version I got the message that cloning is not available in the trial version. Rats!!!
Computer Specs

04-Apr-2011, 12:17 AM #9
According to the Users Manual, Cloning is available in the Free WD Version of the software. If you DL the Users manual, it is on Page 73.
Computer Specs

04-Apr-2011, 12:20 AM #10
Are you using the free trial from Acronis or are you using the WD version from the WD website. If the free trial from Acronis, try Downloading the WD Version from the site you linked to in post# 5
Member with 95 posts.

04-Apr-2011, 01:09 AM #11
Hi Dusty, I tried the version available on WD's website and the Acronis application doesn't recognize the WD disk. I got the message 'you must have at least one WD disk attached to your computer'. I downloaded the trial version of Acronis off the Acronis website and the trial version doesn't allow cloning. Looks like I'm going to get stuck buying a product I'll probably only use once in my lifetime. That sucks big time.
Computer Specs

04-Apr-2011, 01:41 AM #12
Actually, I use Acronis True Image at least 2 times a week on 9 of my computers. Here is the whole thing about it. Data you do not have at least 2 copies of is data that a) you do not care about and, b) you are going to wish you DID have a back up of when your hard drive dies.

If you make an image of your hard drive, then later it dies, you can install then new hard drive then restore the image and be up and runing in about 15 - 20 minutes. I keep a clean image of my hard drive (updated now and then with SPs and driver updates) then I keep a twice weekly back up that includes all my data and installed programs. If my HDD dies I install the new one and have very little lost data, and am up and running in less than a half an hour.

Yes I have 2 HDD's just for back ups of each computer and 2 HDDs just for the clean image of each computer. And they are stored in a Firesafe when not in use.
Member with 95 posts.

04-Apr-2011, 01:17 PM #13
I keep important documents in an external drive. I was going to keep the old hard drive, with all my programs, in case of an emergency so I wouldn't need Acronis permanently.
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,412 posts.

04-Apr-2011, 01:26 PM #14
Use the WD version of Acronis .. Install the new HDD internally ..
Here's how to make the Boot CD ..
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Acronis won't recognize my new hard drive-clipboard.gif  
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,412 posts.

04-Apr-2011, 01:39 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamandy View Post
I don't know what imaging is.
An Acronis Image is a Data file stored in an external Hard Drive .. (a picture of your Hard Drive partitions)
You can make an Acronis Image .. Then use the Image to build a new drive .. Or rewrite a specific partition.

Almost the same as Cloning .. But there's a data file in the middle of the process...
Only needs one Hard Drive at a time .. and the Image in an external.
Imaging can be your best friend .. If you learn how to use one

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!