Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

HDD is 'not initialized'

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Apr-2011, 05:41 AM #1
Question HDD is 'not initialized'
HDD is 'not initialized'
i recently had a problem where my HDD (Seagate 7200.11 640gb) disappeared from My Computer and despite seemingly spinning up ok, it would not access its data, and would not be indentified. I looked a bit more in detail and found the drive was actually showing under Disk Management, not under its drive name, but as its serial number.....and albeit with its disk type as 'unknown' (as opposed to basic or Foreign) and also with the status as 'not initialized'.

I have Windows Vista running.

I looked on a freinds PC (his is Windows XP) and it also showed in Disk Manager, this time with its staus as 'unreadable'.

i have not attempted to actually initialize the disk as yet mainly because it says it will do something to the master boot record.

i have 400gb of my data on this drive and i thought i would ask advice first as the data is not backed up, any suggestions on my next move are appreciated....is it ok to simply go on and initialize the disk, therefore getting my data back?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,419 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Apr-2011, 10:55 AM #2
Is it a drive that falls under this article: http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/cr...071&NewLang=en
Computer Specs

06-Apr-2011, 12:38 PM #3
i have tried via seagate however the drive is an OEM so they wont' help me any further!!
Computer Specs

06-Apr-2011, 04:47 PM #4
Is it one of the affected drives that has the firmware bug? What OEM system did the drive come from?
Computer Specs

06-Apr-2011, 04:50 PM #5
the drive was from a external enclosure originally, then installed into my pc internally. the manufacturer of the external was Medion.

yes my drive is listed with the firmware problem, although will changnhing its firmware render my data inaccessible for good?
Computer Specs

06-Apr-2011, 05:00 PM #6
No, but generally the drives with the issue are not detected at all. Restoring the affected drives to operation was done by flashing the drives with the corrected firmware.

You can try free data recovery software to see if it detects the data on the drive as well, if the drive has suffered another failure, which it might have its it being detected by just not accessible. Here's a list of free data recovery programs: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...very-software/
Computer Specs

07-Apr-2011, 03:23 AM #7
so if i can change the firmware to the updated version my data will not be in danger of being erased at all by the actual procedure of flashing?
Computer Specs

07-Apr-2011, 04:40 PM #8
No, firmware does not destroy/affect the data on the drive.
Computer Specs
Member with 697 posts.

07-Apr-2011, 04:55 PM #9
You can try test disk as well. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

If your hard drive is now shown as not initialized that usually means that the sector 0 containing the partition table is unreadable or corrupt.

You need not just recovery software capable of restoring files, but one capable of restoring deleted partitions and these software usually perform best performing deep/through scans.

Some Advice:

1) Do not attempt to do any further operations on the HDD if that is the primary bootable device. Install back in the USB enclosure or install as slave HDD in a secondary computer.

2) Never install the recovery program on the HDD you wish to attempt the recovery from.

3) Never restore any information to the same HDD, restore to a secondary HDD instead otherwise you may overwrite other files information you wish to restore.

Good luck and let us know if you require any help. If you are unsure do not proceed as you can make any possible recovery impossible to do in the future if you proceed incorrectly.

Last edited by helpful; 07-Apr-2011 at 05:06 PM..
Computer Specs

09-Apr-2011, 03:42 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpful View Post
You can try test disk as well. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

If your hard drive is now shown as not initialized that usually means that the sector 0 containing the partition table is unreadable or corrupt.

You need not just recovery software capable of restoring files, but one capable of restoring deleted partitions and these software usually perform best performing deep/through scans.

Some Advice:

1) Do not attempt to do any further operations on the HDD if that is the primary bootable device. Install back in the USB enclosure or install as slave HDD in a secondary computer.

2) Never install the recovery program on the HDD you wish to attempt the recovery from.

3) Never restore any information to the same HDD, restore to a secondary HDD instead otherwise you may overwrite other files information you wish to restore.

Good luck and let us know if you require any help. If you are unsure do not proceed as you can make any possible recovery impossible to do in the future if you proceed incorrectly.
ok thanks, this HDD is already a slave, and contains data only...no OS.

I am already connecting it to the PC via enclosure.

I will try the program today, install it to my C Drive, and will post my reports.
Computer Specs

09-Apr-2011, 03:53 AM #11
not a good start, despite being connected via USB (in its enclosure) and showing in device manager, the HDD is not seen on the first TestDisk page!? is there anything i'm missing

??
Computer Specs

09-Apr-2011, 07:56 PM #12
If its connected by USB it should be jumpered as Master or Single and not Slave.
Computer Specs

10-Apr-2011, 03:38 AM #13
ok the drive has no jumper attached, the jumper block has two options :
Limit to 1.5 Gb/s Operation
3 Gb/s Operation

without any jumper (as per its current setting) it is set to the 3 Gb/s setting.
Computer Specs

11-Apr-2011, 05:08 PM #14
Sorry, never mind. You mentioned Slave before, but if its SATA then the Master/Slave settings do not apply.
Computer Specs

12-Apr-2011, 12:09 PM #15
ok i have downloaded onto cd the firmware that that is recommended, so just to confirm, if i flash this onto my drive i wont erase my data that is residing on the drive? im just nervous this might occur?!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!