Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

uh-oh - laptop was in checked baggage and now.....

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
12-Apr-2011, 07:44 PM #1
uh-oh - laptop was in checked baggage and now.....
Absolutely helpless laptop owner here. Hi and thanks for your help. In a recent business trip, I didn't realize I would have to take a puddle-jumper. There was no time to re-pack and grab my laptop before the airline grabbed my roll-on bag and tossed it in the cargo bay.

When I got home, the wireless icon and the wireless antenna seem to stayed on the plane. I'm stuck tethered to a USB connection to my router. HELP!

The antenna used to toggle off and on using the blue Fn key + the F2 key. Won't toggle anymore, but will the antenna indicator will occasionally light up as if the antenna was on.

The wireless antenna icon used to be found grouped with other icons under the Network Connections - LAN/High-Speed Internet. It's missing most of the time now.

The system tray will (rarely) show the message "Wireless Network Connection (Wireless)" connected. On the rare chance I fumble my way to Network Connections fast enough, the wireless network icon is there. When I unplug the USB connector, the wireless connection disappears in under 30 seconds. Most of the time the system tray message is "1394 Connection connected."

The laptop has to be connected via USB or Ethernet cable to get wireless on the road.

I'm uploading a word doc w/ a couple screenshots. It's the best I could cobble together! Any ideas? Is my goose cooked?

System info:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2250 @ 1.73GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1014 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family, 224 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 109427 MB, Free - 21956 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0FF049, , .3V7YQB1.CN1296167S7539.
Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled
Attached Files
File Type: doc no wireless icon.doc (56.0 KB, 96 views)
Computer Specs
Member with 5,116 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Apr-2011, 09:48 PM #2
If you go into device manager, is there any yellow marks beside anything?
vicks
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
antenna, wireless connection

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!