Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

switching between onboard and dedicated video card

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Apr-2011, 06:05 PM #1
switching between onboard and dedicated video card
hello, i have a laptop MSI CX623 with intel core i3 CPU, an nvidia 310M gpu, and some intel GMA gpu. I have a problem using them both. I want to use only and only the nvidia gpu and i cant, the laptop always choose the Intel GMA. In nvidia control panel,i can choose which video card to use as default,and also, for some application you can choose on what GPU it will run,pretty cool but at me it doesnt work at all. Even when i right click on some shortcut of a game i can select from the menu the video card which i want to use for that game. Even if i select nvidia, the laptop is using the intel gma. I tried to search in bios for an option which can let me to disable the onboard video card but i couldnt find anything,also the laptop is running always in gaming mode, so there is no power save mode to make the laptop to use the intel gpu to save power This problem isnt only in games,its also when i playing HD videos, the video is really not fluent at all, im sure even there the laptop is using the intel gpu.I tried to disable the intel gpu from Device manager, and windows restarted,and then the nvidia GPU driver wasnt working anymore. When i wanted to reinstall it, a message appeared,telling me that i must install an Intel graphics card driver first. So these two GPUs are linked to each other, but how to make one GPU as default? Is there any other way to make the nvidia GPU to be as default for the sistem and totally ignore the Intel GPU?Thank you very very very much!!

Last edited by deduadrian; 13-Apr-2011 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: add one more idea
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!