Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Graphics card not detected - PSU problem?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Pretty new to all this
17-Apr-2011, 07:58 AM #1
Graphics card not detected - PSU problem?
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional , 32 bit
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6500 @ 2.93GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3549 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset, 1550 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 305142 MB, Free - 227675 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5G41-M LE, Rev X.0x, MF70A6G04802126
Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011, Updated and Enabled

Hi,

I'm pretty new to opening computers and adjusting their hardware, but recently tried to install a graphics card into my desktop computer. The only graphics card at the time was the onboard one. I tried to install a Sapphire Radeon HD5670 PCI-E card. I disabled (rather than uninstalled) the onboard graphics card, doing this on the device manager. I put the new card in, it seemed to click into place and I'm sure it was in all the way. I plugged the monitor into the card's VGA port, turned it on and - no image appeared on the screen.

I plugged the monitor back into the onboard graphics card port, and an image appeared. When Windows 7 loaded, it did not detect any new hardware. I looked on the internet, and some people seemed to suggest that I should go into BIOS and somehow tell the computer to look in the PCI-E slot for a graphics card there. I couldn't find any settings that allowed me to do that - making me wonder if other people have the same BIOS options that I do.

Opening up the computer again, the fans on the card (it's a half-height card for a slim desktop case, hence fans plural) seemed warm, which I thought must mean that it was taking power. But eventually I took a look at the PSU, and say that it said Total Output Power: 250W. The card, however, had minimum requirements of 400W. Ah. (I then removed the card again, as I understood that taking more power than the PSU could provide would damage the components.)

Okay, so these are my questions, which I would be very grateful if anyone could answer:
  • Does it sound like having too small a power source is my only problem? Would the result of too low wattage normally be that the rest of the computer would start up as normal, but that the new graphics card would not work and not be detected?
  • If I were to get a new PSU - it looks as if the case is designed to fit a PSU of a specific shape. Would a higher wattage PSU necessarily be physically bigger? Or should this not be a problem?
  • If I were to replace a 250W PSU with, say, a 500W PSU then, assuming equal levels of efficiency, would the 500W PSU draw twice as much power from the mains for all of the time that the computer was on? Or would it just draw as much power as it needed for whatever it was doing at the time?
  • If the graphics card were plugged in, would it be drawing its full ration from the PSU all of the time, or would it only go up significantly when it was being used for demanding activities, such as playing games?
If it is just a matter of getting a new PSU, I think I'll do that, but if it just leads to me having to get loads of other things upgraded as well, I might have to give up, as I'm only expecting to use the PC for a couple of games anyway.

Thanks very much if anyone can help!
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

17-Apr-2011, 08:29 AM #2
A 500W power supply probably will be physically larger; whether it will fit depends on the design of your case. An ATX12V power supply up to 450 watts measures approximately 150 mm wide X 140 mm deep X 86 mm high. Some higher wattage power supplies may be larger, usually the depth is longer.

Regarding you questions about power, it will draw only the amount of power that is needed for what it is doing at the time
Computer Specs

17-Apr-2011, 03:09 PM #3
Thanks for the advice, I'll try and measure the PSU cavity and see what I've got to play with.

Does anyone know if low power would cause a graphics card not to be detected? I'd have thought that low power would stop the whole computer from working. Why might a computer not detect a graphics card?

It just seems to me that there must be something else that's also stopping it working.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

18-Apr-2011, 06:06 AM #4
According to the manual, in the BIOS setup utility under Advanced > Chipset > Initiate Graphics Adapter, you should see options for IGD, PCI/IGD, PEG/PCI, PCI/PEG and PEG/IGD.

I would think you want "PEG/PCI" which is supposed to be the default setting. It tells the BIOS to use a PCI-E graphics card, and if not found then use a PCI card. If neither are found, it will use the integrated graphics.

If you already have that then something else is wrong; and I agree that if it was overloading the PSU the computer would not work.
Computer Specs

18-Apr-2011, 01:25 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank4d View Post
According to the manual, in the BIOS setup utility under Advanced > Chipset > Initiate Graphics Adapter, you should see options for IGD, PCI/IGD, PEG/PCI, PCI/PEG and PEG/IGD.

I would think you want "PEG/PCI" which is supposed to be the default setting. It tells the BIOS to use a PCI-E graphics card, and if not found then use a PCI card. If neither are found, it will use the integrated graphics.

If you already have that then something else is wrong; and I agree that if it was overloading the PSU the computer would not work.
That's amazing, I think that's the one piece of information I'd been looking for and hadn't been able to find. When I look at Chipset, I instead get the options of "Northbridge" and "Southbridge", with big capital lettered warnings that meddling with these options could cause a complete system malfunction, so I'd been afraid of checking further. I just tried selecting Northbridge and the options you mentioned were there. I won't put the graphics card back in yet, I'll look into power supplies first.

Again, you've been a great help. Cheers!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
graphics card, not detected, power supply, psu, video card

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!