Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can I connect a monitor while my computer is on?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 17 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Apr-2011, 10:39 PM #1
Can I connect a monitor while my computer is on?
I'm setting up a second display but I'm not sure if I can connect it to my computer while its still on. Its troublesome to turn off the computer and connect the monitor then turn it back on so I'm thinking of connecting it while its still on. Would it be ok to connect it while the computer is in sleep mode?
Computer Specs
Member with 286 posts.

30-Apr-2011, 10:44 PM #2
Yes of course it you could! I have done it many times and just did it recently to test out a monitor. Don't worry, nothing will happen.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,665 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-May-2011, 03:30 AM #3
Nothing, other than "hot swappable" devices should be plugged into a powered on machine.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001059.htm

Last edited by win2kpro; 01-May-2011 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: Add link
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

01-May-2011, 08:41 AM #4
There's nothing wrong with connecting a monitor while a computer is on. I do it every morning when I connect my laptop to an external monitor.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,665 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-May-2011, 11:45 AM #5
Although on occassion I have done it myself, I have to disagree with the statements regarding "hot swapping" monitors. VGA and DVI circuits are not designated as hot swappable.

All connector and sockets have a life referred to as "cycles" (plugging and unplugging). At one time I looked up the number of cycles for Molex VGA connectors and if I recall correctly the manufacturer (Molex) specs for VGA connector sockets was 100 "cycles". This doesn't mean that the socket will fail at exactly 101 "cycles", but at some point the pins on the connector or the female connectors in the socket will fail from use. "Cycles" is just a figure calculated by the manufacturer similar to MTBF for motherboards based on testing. Since many manufacturers use components of lower quality than Molex, therefore the life "cycles" will likely be less than Molex products.

I just happened to have a PDF user guide that I downloaded recently for a ViewSonic VA2702W LCD display. On page 6 of the Quick Start Guide for this display is the following information.

Quick Installation

1. Connect power cord (and AC/DC
adapter if required)

2. Connect video cable

• Make sure both the LCD display and
computer are turned OFF

Then there is some information regarding connecting to a Mac that I won't bother to copy. The instructions then continue;

3. Turn ON LCD display and computer

Turn ON the LCD display, then turn ON
the computer. This sequence (LCD display
before computer) is important.

The Quick Start Guide then goes on about receiving a Windows message, blah, blah, blah.

I don't know why ViewSonic who builds millions of monitors would consider the sequence important unless they don't want a purchaser to make a mistake and have the computer on before plugging in the monitor.

Individual can do whatever they please, but I personally am not going to "hot plug" a monitor and recommend that others "hot plug" non "hot swappable" devices.

Last edited by win2kpro; 01-May-2011 at 12:23 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!