Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

23 inch Monitor Makes Everyone Look Fat ... Prints Out Normal

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-May-2011, 02:30 AM #1
Question 23 inch Monitor Makes Everyone Look Fat ... Prints Out Normal
I've been working on this two months. I have a relatively new Dell 23 inch monitor and everything is wider than it should be. People look fat who are slim. They appear normal when printed out. I've used all the buttons including auto adjust, etc. and, although I am fairly computer literate, I guess I'm lacking where monitors are concerned. Could someone who knows what they're doing walk me through this.

Thanks.
Mari

Last edited by Triple6; 08-May-2011 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Removed email address
Member with 8,559 posts.

Experience: 15 years of just doing it
08-May-2011, 03:43 AM #2
Placing your e-mail address in a public place like this will have you inundated with spam in short order.

You haven't given us enough information. We need your system specifications, your OS version, the brand and model number of your video card and model number of your monitor.

Answers will be given in this forum.
Computer Specs

08-May-2011, 04:51 AM #3
Question 23 inch Monitor Problem ~ I'll try to do better this time.
The monitor is a 23 inch Dell LCD. (S2309W) I'm running Windows 7 on a nine year old Gateway with one GB RAM. The monitor has Auto Detect, Auto Adjustment, Brightness/Contrast, Color Settings, etc. I've done all I can do with those and it doesn't make my display normal ... it actually seems to do nothing to the display. There is a Standard VGA Graphics Adapter but I have no clue as to what that means. I'm just reading properties in my control panel.

It says "This device is working properly." It's not "working properly" because everybody is fat.
The resource settings show no conflicts.
The VGA Graphics (NVidia 8 bit, Chip Rev B2 with 64 MB graphics Memory) is "working properly." Not.

The display is set to 1024 x 768. I think it will go higher but in my display, this is the highest it will take. If someone will tell me what to do and what to look for, I can probably be more articulate about this.

Everything is really fine with this monitor except horizontally. If I could just manipulate it visually, it would make me happy.

Thanks.
Mari
K7M K7M is offline K7M has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 795 posts.

08-May-2011, 05:36 AM #4
Set your resolution to 1280 X 768. That will make everyone look normal.If you vid card won't support that resolution you may try updating the drivers or you may have to replace the video card.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,410 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-May-2011, 10:35 AM #5
A 7 year old system may have a graphics card that is not fully supported in Windows 7. Do you know which NVIDIA card you have? Or the model/serial number of your Gateway?

In any case, since you have a 16:9 widescreen you need to choose a 16:9 resolution to use and ideally use the 1920x1080 native resolution of the monitor for the the crispest and best appearance.

I've also edited out your email address for the reasons mentioned above.
Computer Specs

08-May-2011, 04:14 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisok View Post
The monitor is a 23 inch Dell LCD. (S2309W) I'm running Windows 7 on a nine year old Gateway with one GB RAM. The monitor has Auto Detect, Auto Adjustment, Brightness/Contrast, Color Settings, etc. I've done all I can do with those and it doesn't make my display normal ... it actually seems to do nothing to the display. There is a Standard VGA Graphics Adapter but I have no clue as to what that means. I'm just reading properties in my control panel.

It says "This device is working properly." It's not "working properly" because everybody is fat.
The resource settings show no conflicts.
The VGA Graphics (NVidia 8 bit, Chip Rev B2 with 64 MB graphics Memory) is "working properly." Not.

The display is set to 1024 x 768. I think it will go higher but in my display, this is the highest it will take. If someone will tell me what to do and what to look for, I can probably be more articulate about this.

Everything is really fine with this monitor except horizontally. If I could just manipulate it visually, it would make me happy.

Thanks.
Mari
Hi, Thanks for your response. My monitor advertised the rate you suggested but when I go to my Display settings it only shows two. 1024 X 768 and 800 X 600. How can I bypass this and set it at the maximum?
Mari
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,990 posts.

08-May-2011, 04:34 PM #7
You need to install a video card that supports Windows 7 and provides resolution settings for that Dell 23" wide-screen LCD monitor.

As long as you're using the integrated graphics controller in that 9-year old Gateway, you're going to be stuck with resolution settings(1024 X 768, 800 x 600, etc.) that are designed for the old CRT monitors.

What's the description of that Gateway?

---------------------------------------------------------------

I installed Windows 7 in an 8-year old Gateway desktop a few months ago, but I had to first upgrade to a video card and max out the amount of RAM it supports.

It has a HP 22" wide-screen LCD monitor.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

26-May-2011, 03:08 AM #8
Question My 23 inch monitor and old Gateway
I want to thank all of you who are trying to help this poor soul get a display that at least resembles what prints out. I installed Windows 7 and am running that but am maxedf out at 1 GB Ram for the computer.

I know a lot about how to USE a computer but I'm a novice about its insides like video cards, etc. Is this something that I have to go inside it or what? 1024 X 768 is the max I can set my resolution to. My other choice is 800 X 600. There are no options in between these two.

Honestly, everything is spread out that every photo I take, every web graphic oI look at is FAT. I do a lot of webwork and would very quickly just buy a new computer but I can't find time to even back up things and fear I'll lose something important.

So how do I install a new video card if that is the answer.

Thanks,
Mari
Computer Specs

26-May-2011, 03:11 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple6 View Post
A 7 year old system may have a graphics card that is not fully supported in Windows 7. Do you know which NVIDIA card you have? Or the model/serial number of your Gateway?

In any case, since you have a 16:9 widescreen you need to choose a 16:9 resolution to use and ideally use the 1920x1080 native resolution of the monitor for the the crispest and best appearance.

I've also edited out your email address for the reasons mentioned above.
Hi,

I can't use 1920 X 1080. When I go to my resolution settings it doesn't go that high. I only have two choices. I'm as high as it will let me go.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,346 posts.

26-May-2011, 06:06 AM #10
Based on what you have put in post #3, you may not have the correct drivers installed for your video card, I wouldn't expect it to be listed as a 'Standard VGA adaptor' especially as you reference NVidia. So, we need to find out what graphics card is in the machine and get you the correct drivers for it, this should give you more resolution options although I can't guarantee any of them will be 16:9 aspect ratio to fix the issue!

Also, as flavalee has said, you could be totally stuck as you there may not be any Windows 7 compatible drivers for the card, this could be the reason why you are in the position you are now

What is the exact make and model of the PC? You have said it is a gateway but has it got a model name or number on the case? It could be on the front somewhere, or possibly on a sticker / panel on the rear with serial numbers etc on, that info would be extremely useful
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,990 posts.

26-May-2011, 08:24 AM #11
Provide the exact description of your Gateway, as requested, so we can determine if it has a PCI or AGP slot for installing a video card.

------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as you're using a wide-screen LCD monitor with resolutions(1024 X 768, 800 X 600) that are designed for an old CRT monitor, everything is going to look distorted and "fat".

Is there an Other Devices heading in the Device Manager, and is anything listed in it?

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
23 inch, fat, monitor distortion

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!