Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Best hard drive for NAS storage?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2,575 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-May-2011, 10:46 AM #1
Question Best hard drive for NAS storage?
Hey everyone, I am planning on a home network that will consist of an 8/10 port network switch. A couple of computers, a BT home hub internet connection, and possible a network DVD media player.
I also plan to have a NAS storage device such as this one
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149510

I was just wondering what hard drives I should put in there. My initial thought was 2 Western Digital Caviar Green 2tb drives. However after reading a few reviews of them I have found that they are not recommend for use in a NAS storage device as they have problems with something called LLC I am not really sure what that is.

Anyway I was just wondering what drives people would recommend for the use in a NAS drive like the one above. I am not too bothered about how quiet they are just that they are fairly cool running and don't need too much power.

Thanking in advance, Jack-O-Bytes
Computer Specs
Member with 2,575 posts.

09-May-2011, 10:51 AM #2
I have been on the Netgear website and have found this list of compatible hard drives. Some of them have better warranties than others.

http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=82

Jack-O-Bytes
Computer Specs
Member with 355 posts.

09-May-2011, 02:07 PM #3
i would have thought that the drives being vertical would cause problems rather than laid flat since the reading heads are mechanically driven with a low torque, high rpm motors... i think 2 TB was the limit to be detected on pc's until a year or two ago. [~or a bit more than that]
i dont see a problem with the 2TB unless it wasnt manufactured properly, where did you read about this LLC issue? as with HDD's and SSD's, the higher the capacity the more prone it becomes to failure
Computer Specs
Member with 2,575 posts.

09-May-2011, 03:54 PM #4
Hard drives work fine either horizontal or vertical. It is when they are at a silly angle like 70 degrees is when they can be damaged. As for the LLC thing it was on one of the reviews for the Caviar Green 2tb drive on Amazon. He had installed it in a NAS box and it kept moving the needle around a lot and caused it to wear a lot quicker than it should have done.

Jack-O-Bytes
Computer Specs
Member with 355 posts.

09-May-2011, 04:39 PM #5
"LCC[Load Cycle Count]: the number of times the disk heads are parked and unparked." im assuming going into standby mode, out of standby, standby, etc...
seems as though going to 1TB and beyond causes a monumental amount of failure rates
samsung F3 is not really better off, herd quite a few of them failing
if you dont need so much space then i'd say stick to x2 500GB drives, for the most part, you might actually need something like "WD caviar Black" drives
OR you could...
build a mini itx system and use it as a home server/NAS if you already know how to create the drives [my plan of the future with an atom 330 or a h55 socket]
Computer Specs
Member with 2,575 posts.

10-May-2011, 05:56 AM #6
Well I need a lot of storage. I need about 1tb because there will be loads of films, music, and photos on it. That NAS box that I have linked to just mirros the drives so if I have 2 1tb drives in it I only have acces to 1Tb any way. That is why I want to go for as big as possible.

Jack-O-Bytes
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hard drive, nas, netgear, network, storage

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!