Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: New Hard Drive but computer won't recognize it

(!)

lisakmusco has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 585 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-May-2011, 10:24 PM #1
Solved: New Hard Drive but computer won't recognize it
After being advised to long ago because the old drive was both failing and too small, I finally bought a new hard drive. This one has a SATA connection and the computer is not recognizing it. I have 4 connectors, and my CD/DVD burner was already plugged into SATA1. I moved it to SATA2 and pluggd the new HDD into SATA1. Should I not have done that? What am I not doing that it is not recognizing it? I also still have the old IDE drive connected so that I'll be able to move stuff to the new drive.
Member with 44,710 posts.

11-May-2011, 12:12 AM #2
You might have to activate the SATA in the BIOS setup...I've seen some motherboards by default select just one port in the BIOS even though there were more on the board, but at least they included an option to look for the other one...
Computer Specs
Member with 585 posts.

11-May-2011, 12:26 AM #3
All four are enabled. After I did that I saw it install all sorts of drivers when I booted up into my existing windows. But it still won't recognize that drive.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

11-May-2011, 01:58 AM #4
Look in Disk Management and see if this drive has been formatted.
Computer Specs
Member with 585 posts.

11-May-2011, 02:08 AM #5
Can't see it in disk management or in bios.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

11-May-2011, 02:10 AM #6
An older computer might have trouble with a SATA II or III drive. Does the drive have jumpers? IS the drive spinning? Are the connections tight?
Computer Specs
Member with 585 posts.

14-May-2011, 02:29 PM #7
OK - well I kind solved the problem, for a day. Now I have a different issue.
I realized that what I didn't try was to only have the new drive plugged in and then start the windows install. That worked and it recognized the new drive, installed windows, etc. It was working for a couple of days and I'd reinstalled most of my programs.
Next I tried to reconnect the old drive so I could pull all my data from it. It seemed to be working fine. I could see both drives and did a copy and paste. Computer rebooted and booted up off the old drive. It never gives me the option to choose which one to boot. So I unplugged it and rebooted and worked from the new drive. Last night I was trying again. Hooked up the old drive just like I did before, but it didn't recognize it this time. I checked my connections and when I touched the power on the old drive it shut down my computer, kinda like a power surge. It rebooted on the old drive again. I didn't worry about it and just did some other stuff on that drive.

This morning I woke up to a black screen error: Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

I have tried everything. Neither drive will boot - the old drive, when it is connected will be recognized in bios, but not the newer one. I've tried them singly and together. I've tried reinstalling windows on each one individually, but each time windows install gives me an error that it finds no drive to install to.
Computer Specs
Member with 585 posts.

14-May-2011, 04:11 PM #8
Hughv mentioned age of the computer. It's not brand new but not that old either. Here is the motherboard: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/K9N4-U...ml#?div=Detail

Says they are SATA II ports.

the new hard drive is this one: http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5387#
it is model WD7501AALS. It was actually recommended to me in another thread here on this board.
No jumpers are selected, as instructed.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

14-May-2011, 08:02 PM #9
I'd have to say it's possible that the "Power surge" (Short circuit?) has done some serious damage to the board.
Remove the old drive (Never connect it again) and check that the SATA ports are still enabled.
Computer Specs
Member with 585 posts.

15-May-2011, 03:24 AM #10
I was wondering if that might be the case as well. Yes, you could probably call the "power surge" a "short circuit" as well. I had touched the power connection on the old drive and lost power to the whole computer for a couple seconds. However, it did boot up just fine immediately afterwards, and on the old drive versus the new one.
Yes, the SATA ports are still enabled.
When I try connecting just the old drive, bios seems to find it, but it won't boot up and windows setup doesn't find it to repair/install.
Connecting just the new drive nothing happens at all.
What can I do to figure out if it is the board?

Last edited by lisakmusco; 15-May-2011 at 03:31 AM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
15-May-2011, 04:47 AM #11
Try good, known working drives. After that, the board is all that is possible.
Computer Specs
Member with 585 posts.

18-May-2011, 10:22 AM #12
OK - so I borrowed a drive from a friend. Windows setup found it and installed windows, but then when it went to finish and reboot got a similar blackscreen error message to what I've had with my other two drives:

Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

Only this time it also said: NTLDR is missing; press any key

I tried putting a windows xp boot disk in, but it did not help. Just gave me that NTLDR is missing error again.

So what does this mean? I initially figured when it started installing windows that that meant it was definitely the drive(s) and not the board; but now am not so sure.
Computer Specs
Member with 585 posts.

20-May-2011, 05:14 PM #13
Well I figured out that that might have been more an issue with the drive I borrowed. She had given me two; one was a working drive and one a very small one used as a ghost drive. Tried the second one and it booted in my computer. It also allowed me to slave my old drive and see into it for my data. Shocking development: my data from My Documents is all gone. Must've been when I tried to move it to the new drive, yet I swear I didn't see it there back when I was able to use the new drive. Will keep hoping on that one. Still couldn't get the new drive to be seen by my computer and hers doesn't have sata to try it. Waiting on someone else to test that unless there's something else I can try..
Is there anything I can do?
Computer Specs
Member with 585 posts.

25-May-2011, 02:15 PM #14
It would seem I have confirmed that both drives are dead. Am contacting manufacturer about warranty replacement on the new one. I guess the data that I attempted to moved over to it is gone as well, assuming it got there in the first place. I couldn't find it before the drive failed, and yet it doesn't appear to be on the old drive either.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!