Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

power supply fan runs hot

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

Experience: beginner to intermediate
19-May-2011, 05:09 PM #1
power supply fan runs hot
Don't know if this is an issue or what. I had problems with one of my systems. it appeared that the power supply had gone bad. after posting here I replaced the power supply and that seemed to correct the original problem. Now, I get a smell from the fan. but figure that could be normal. But today, I noticed the back of the system was quite warm and the computer appeared to freeze. I turned on the system let it run for about an hour or so unattended and when i went to use if for internet search, the internet would not come up and noticed nothing else would open either. thats when I also noticed the fan was running but was warm or rather hotter then when I first had it replaced. This also seems to run hotter then my other two systems.
The original power supply was a 300w and this one is according to the box a 450w. So wouldn't that make it run cooler?
any thoughts?
I will usually turn on what ever system I think I would be working on for the day in the morning, this particular system generally will on mostly when I need to print something out.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,665 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-May-2011, 05:21 PM #2
What is the EXACT make and model of the power supply you installed. Post a link to it.
Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

19-May-2011, 05:28 PM #3
had it done by a computer repair place. the box states: Echo Star 450W Gamer SATA Fan ATX power supply.
don't understand - post a link to it?
Computer Specs

19-May-2011, 05:45 PM #4
This is a link;
http://www.outletpc.com/c0841.html

The only way I can describe that power supply is pure junk. If it smells hot I wouldn't even run it. Many times those cheap power supply's will fail and when they fail they may take out the motherboard with them and possibly other components.
Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

19-May-2011, 08:27 PM #5
pure junk! ? that's great. it was an expensive pure junk then. well, can't afford to replace that with something else.
anyway, I turned off the system for about an hour, and turned it on again about an hour ago. it seems to be running okay now. as far as the heat goes.
I'll keep a watch on it, though. it's not my main system anyways. it usually is on only and or for mostly when I need something printed or when I'm doing scrapbooking, have two systems set up for the one printer and that is the only place for the printer cuz the main system there is no room in that room for a printer. thanks
Computer Specs

20-May-2011, 04:48 AM #6
I don't especially enjoy telling someone a product they purchased in pure junk, but I believe in calling a spade a spade.

Here is what I consider a mid-range power supply, i.e. not the best, not the worst. Compare them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153023

ThermalTake unit $33.99 (after mail in rebate) Don't fall for the free shipping gimmick. Twice the power with a 5 year limited warranty.

Echo Star $15.88. 30 day warranty.

Having been in the building and repair business for quite a few years, I can tell you the component most likely to fail in a machine is the power supply. As I previously stated when a power supply fails sometimes you can get away with just a new power supply. Other times when the failure occurs it will take out other machine components. If you check the archives at this site or other sites you can find hundreds of cheap power supply failures.

Good luck.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,034 posts.

20-May-2011, 02:46 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger3 View Post
had it done by a computer repair place. the box states: Echo Star 450W Gamer SATA Fan ATX power supply.
don't understand - post a link to it?
i personally would not go back to that repair shop ever again! ............. they know they are installing sub par componants and do not care......... they just want to get paid
how much did they charge u for this "service"
Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

20-May-2011, 07:58 PM #8
total charge was 130.00 they cleaned out the inside so it looks shiny and new. I think the power supply itself was around 50.00.
and now my system does a checkdisk consistency every time I turn on the pc also. I read somewhere on here about the registry to remove that or something.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,034 posts.

20-May-2011, 08:13 PM #9
Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

20-May-2011, 08:18 PM #10
figures
Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

20-May-2011, 08:19 PM #11
it was just I didn't have time to do a good search or research. needed system up and running asap for project. live and learn I say. guess that was an expensive lesson for me.
Computer Specs
Member with 289 posts.

20-May-2011, 09:43 PM #12
130$ ... damn dude you got ripped off.
For 130$, you could get yourself a corsair 600 Watt power supply
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6&Sku=C13-2814.
Plus , you could've bought yourself a can of compressed air and cleaned out the computer yourself.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...29697&CatId=34.
Total of both of those would be 75.98$ before tax and shipping. That could've been lots of money saved with much better quality parts :/ You learn from your mistakes...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!