Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Ideas for New Features & Enhancements Ideas for New Features & Enhancements
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

Hosting or Mirroring Software tools.

(!)

Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,233 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Dec-2011, 08:28 PM #1
Hosting or Mirroring Software tools.
When it comes to attracting new helpers to the site, there are two main groups of people who may help:
Those who find the site to ask a question, help to say thanks.
And those who are already helping on other fora.

Attracting the second group means giving them something here that they cannot access on their own forum. That is to say, we'd want people to see the name techguy.org and associate it with good stuff. One option is to provide tutorials, I think another is to offer software tools.

This could be providing another mirror for free or Open Source software.
It could alternatively (and ideally, if we have good enough progammers) be hosting software that is written by our members.
What matters is that people direct those they are helping, or come here themselves, to pick up an invaluable tool in their troubleshooting efforts.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,068 posts.

Experience: Still Learning....
25-Dec-2011, 06:34 AM #2
Isn't that going to be a concern regarding Malwares?
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs

25-Dec-2011, 07:43 AM #3
Possibly. I don't think so though. Most tools that we'd be mirroring are already well known and well reputed. If we did create something for the site it would have to be Open Source or at least have the source code released for a few people to check over.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,068 posts.

Experience: Still Learning....
25-Dec-2011, 02:20 PM #4
The 'trust factor' once again takes over...
TechGuy   (Mike) TechGuy is online now TechGuy has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Administrator with 12,682 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Dec-2011, 12:19 AM #5
I wouldn't mind mirroring some well-known software... but I'm not sure I see the advantage. Don't most of those programs already have enough mirrors? Would we really be getting any new users from it?
Computer Specs

26-Dec-2011, 05:06 AM #6
I have no idea.

I do think that it would help our reputation among potential helpers if people were coming to TSG for more than just the forum questions. If, for example, anyone were welcome to use the SysInfo utility and people at BC were linking to our site for that tool, that would probably draw new helpers because we'd be percieved as something more than just another forum that people get excited to be involved with. This effect increases in proportion to the percieved complexity of the sofware on offer.

Whether mirroring software would have that effect, given that it clearly isn't "our" software, is something I can't answer. It would still help spread our name around and get it into people's subconscious, but they'd be smart enough to realize that our contribution was minimal.
pyritechips has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 26,276 posts.

11-Jan-2012, 09:49 PM #7
How about a comprehensive list of links of the most commonly used and trusted software - software used in helping with malware, links to hardware manufacturers (eg. Dell, HP, Nvidia, Intel). Flash, Java, etc.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!