Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

Job list

(!)

Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,248 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Jun-2012, 01:44 PM #1
Job list
Before people make that assumption, I am not suggesting any sort of employment middleman system such as at elance.com.

What I am suggesting is some sort of system for co-ordinating tasks required for a larger project. Because I'm familiar with it I'll use the example of the Wiki Library of Knowledge, but it could be used for any number of community projects.

Every so often I'll think of something that would be a great Library article, but for one reason or another it's out of range of your own capacity. It would be very useful if there were a system in place for creating a task with a title and basic description, which better qualified people can join/accept and then somehow mark solved once it's complete. Ideally if a task involves more than 1 person, it would also be possible to have discussions about the task in the same place.

For example, I might notice that there are dozens of questions about a particular task in Photoshop, but be unable to write such an article because I don't have photoshop myself. Using my hypothetical situation, Noyb and Pip22 rush (heroically, naturally) to the rescue. They both "accept" the job, and after quick discussion (which confuses me roughly as fast as it enlightens them) about which approach to use and where to get the screenshots, they set up the page and are soon directing new forum members to refer to it.

With regard to the library itself I did create a page called requested articles, and it was successful to some extent, but a wiki structure isn't really made for allocating jobs. The more discursive nature of a forum could work better, but ideally some structure needs to be in place for at least accepting tasks and seeing who else is involved.
TechGuy   (Mike) TechGuy is offline TechGuy has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Administrator with 12,729 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Jul-2012, 05:43 PM #2
Interesting idea... could it be as simple as a forum in which we could change a thread prefix to be "Accepted" "In Progress" etc?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!