Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Linux and Unix Linux and Unix
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Password not accepted

(!)

Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,092 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Jun-2011, 07:32 AM #1
Angry Solved: Password not accepted
I have installed Ubuntu 10.10 on one of my computers running XP and I did select along side when installing. Two problems.

My password is not accepted. I can boot without a password however.
I know I am entering the correct password it is only six characters zyxwv4

Another thing I assumed if I installed Ubuntu along side my XP when booting I would be asked what system to boot to as I have seen with Windows. It seems I have hosed one of my computers since Ubuntu is virtually useless if my password is not accepted and I can't find my XP.

Update: Now after Googling some more I see that I should have partitioned. I didn't partition anything. I though Ubuntu would be installed right there on C with 150 Gb of unused space along side xp. I have lots

of grub in my kitchen but now I see something called that is required to get the option to choose which system to boot to. Apparently I have effectively destroyed one of my computers. Probably Blue Cross could not fix this. Oh well I have two more computers. What have I done? Will appreciate any reply.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,267 posts.

16-Jun-2011, 08:48 AM #2
Open a Terminal Window in Ubuntu and show us the output of the following command:

sudo fdisk -l

Note that the last character is a lower case L. From the output we should be able to determine whether or not you still have an installed XP.

You haven't destroyed a computer. You may have destroyed an operating system and may have to reinstall it. Do you have your XP installation CD?

16-Jun-2011, 09:19 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
Open a Terminal Window in Ubuntu and show us the output of the following command:

sudo fdisk -l

Note that the last character is a lower case L. From the output we should be able to determine whether or not you still have an installed XP.

You haven't destroyed a computer. You may have destroyed an operating system and may have to reinstall it. Do you have your XP installation CD?
That command is not recognized. As to the password being recognized I may have fixed that. I did the following and was told I had changed the password successfully. Now I don't know how to test to see if the new password will be accepted.
This Umbuntu is a discombulated mess so far to me.

Edit: Well I did get the output when I entered the command correctly. Now I don't know how to get it to you. I have the screenshot opened on the desktop.I will try to take a pic of it with my webcam.

Re: Password not accepted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During boot, hold shift. That will pull up the GRUB menu. Then select "recovery mode", then select Root shell (or something to that effect). Then type
Code:
passwd usernameit will then prompt you for a new password.
Thanks for any help

Last edited by bicycle bill; 16-Jun-2011 at 10:08 AM..
Computer Specs

16-Jun-2011, 10:57 AM #4
Appears xp is lost. I have no disk either.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Password not accepted-screenshot.jpg  
Trusted Advisor with 19,684 posts.

16-Jun-2011, 11:45 AM #5
You could of just copied the text in the terminal window and pasted it here as well.
Computer Specs

16-Jun-2011, 12:50 PM #6
Trying to make this shot readable. Password is fixed now.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Password not accepted-screenshot.jpg  
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,267 posts.

16-Jun-2011, 02:56 PM #7
Quote:
Appears xp is lost. I have no disk either.
Correct, you must have accidentally installed Ubuntu in place of XP instead of alongside. If it was a pre-installed XP and you still have the Product Key on a sticker on the PC you could install XP using a borrowed CD--has to be same version (Home or Pro)--and your key. If this is a possibility we can offer suggestions for how to proceed. Otherwise, enjoy Ubuntu.
Trusted Advisor with 19,684 posts.

16-Jun-2011, 04:25 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycle bill View Post
Trying to make this shot readable. Password is fixed now.
Was just trying to make you understand that you can copy and paste the text from the terminal window in linux just like you can copy and paste text from a cmd prompt in Windows. You really didn't need to take a screen shot.
Computer Specs

16-Jun-2011, 04:28 PM #9
Thanks man. Wish I had known that before. You wouldn't believe the hoops I had to jump through using two computers to get that info to you guys. That Linux is quite a challange.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!