Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Linux and Unix Linux and Unix
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Clonezilla - Cloned HDD won't boot

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
31-Aug-2011, 01:22 PM #1
Clonezilla - Cloned HDD won't boot
Hello

Firstly im running Windows 7 on a Dell Inspiron 1750 with standard spec.

I used Clonezilla Live to clone the full HDD currently in my laptop, with a shiney new HDD (500gb).

The clone seemed to work okay... No Errors or anything. Took out the old HDD and replaced it with the new clone and I get the error;

The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

I swapped the drives back over and the laptop still boots from the old HDD, and the new HDD has everything the old HDD has on it.. So the clone has worked! It just won't boot from the new HDD.

I'm using a USB enclosure to connect the HDD to the laptop by the way.

Any ideas on what's going wrong?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,743 posts.

31-Aug-2011, 03:42 PM #2
Does the BIOS (Setup) recognize the new hard drive?
Member with 3,750 posts.

Experience: A Linux user gone nuts on multi-boot
31-Aug-2011, 04:29 PM #3
Convince us first that your have cloned the hard disk successfully by posting here the Linux root terminal output, while the two disks are hooked up, of command
Code:
fdisk -l
You can do it with Clonezilla.
Computer Specs

31-Aug-2011, 05:43 PM #4
BIOS recognises the new HDD.
Member with 1,690 posts.

31-Aug-2011, 08:08 PM #5
When you first finished cloning, did you boot the machine with the cloned drive still hooked up? If so, the partition on the new drive probably needs to be reset as "active".
Computer Specs

01-Sep-2011, 03:27 AM #6
After the cloning had completed, I powered down and swapped the drives. Rebooted unsuccessfully. Then I swapped them back over and saw that the new cloned HDD was not being recognised by the machine. It was obviously having conflicts with the old drive and was offline. I activated it and swapped the drives, still won't boot from the Clone.
Computer Specs

01-Sep-2011, 06:39 AM #7
I did use option -k1 if that has anything to do
with it...
Member with 3,750 posts.

01-Sep-2011, 08:01 AM #8
I think Xp, Vista and Win7 has some sort of in-built check to see if their system files have been duplicated and might do something to one or both sets of system files in the name of protection.

If one hooks a clone while booting the source disk one or both Windows may not work afterward.

In a normal course of action I would expect Win7 would be clever enough in refusing to mount a partition that contain the same licensed system as its own.
Member with 1,690 posts.

01-Sep-2011, 10:38 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggbert View Post
After the cloning had completed, I powered down and swapped the drives. Rebooted unsuccessfully. Then I swapped them back over and saw that the new cloned HDD was not being recognised by the machine. It was obviously having conflicts with the old drive and was offline. I activated it and swapped the drives, still won't boot from the Clone.
So..after cloning, you've had both drives connected to the machine every time you've booted, or tried to boot it to Windows.

I don't know how other people do this, but when I clone a drive, once Clonezilla or Ghost is done cloning I shut down the machine. I then REMOVE the original drive and put the new clone drive into position. DON'T reconnect the original drive.

Then I boot the machine with just the new clone drive.
Computer Specs

01-Sep-2011, 10:56 AM #10
Nah, I swapped the old drive out of the machine put the new "cloned" drive in and once it was unsuccessfull, I put the old back in the machine and put the clone in the enclosure, just to see if the files had actually been copie.
Member with 3,750 posts.

01-Sep-2011, 11:59 AM #11
If the information requested in Post #3 has been provided we could at least know

(1) Is the cloned partition bootable as queried by DVOM

(2) That sector by sector cloning was successfully achieved by comparing the two partition tables.

I normally use dd, which is available in every Linux, and have never had it failed.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!