Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Linux and Unix Linux and Unix
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Linux terminal commands for Ubuntu features?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Feb-2012, 11:03 AM #1
Solved: Linux terminal commands for Ubuntu features?
Hi everyone,
I used GNOME 3 for a bit, and really loved the little hot corner. But i was disappointed because I couldn't get that little menu bar with File, Edit, View etc at the top that you can get with Unity. So i was just trying to do it without extra software on Unity, other than just Compiz. I know you can set your own, custom commands activated by hotkeys, or hot edges, or hot corners. So, is there any command line command for the expose like feature you get with ubuntu? I think the option is Super+W, and it shows all the windows I have. Or perhaps a way to set those commands so that they do key-presses instead of running a command? Sorry if I'm not clear.. I'll elaborate if I know what part I'm not being clear about..
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,205 posts.

27-Feb-2012, 03:51 PM #2
Hi,
If you are using Ubuntu 11.04 you may find this useful: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubunt...s-200390.shtml

For 11.10: http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2011/11/ub...-shortcut.html

Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?

Richard
Member with 355 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Feb-2012, 03:51 PM #3
Hello, rajaspoorna.

As far as the Global Menu (the application-specific File, Edit, View, etc menus) go, there is an alpha version of a Global Menu extension for GNOME Shell. You can find out more about it HERE. Note that it is in Alpha, meaning that it *could* be very buggy. I have not tested this out myself yet, and it is not fully compatible with all applications at this time.

As far as showing all open windows, the only way I know to do that (right now) is via the Activities Overview. If you simply press the Super (Windows) key, the Activities Overview will open up, and it should be opened to the Windows tab, showing all open windows.

And finally, as concerning custom shortcuts. Here are the steps to take to get to the Shortcuts dialog.

NOTE: By default, for whatever reason, GNOME Shell's Run dialog (which is activated by pressing ALT+F2) is disabled on Ubuntu systems, so there are a few more steps to this than there should be.
  1. Press the Super key to enter the Activities Overview.
  2. Type in the following: Gnome Control Center.
  3. You shoudl see an icon which will launch the Gnome Control Center. Click on it once to open this application.
  4. In the window that opens, click on the Keyboard item located under the Hardware section.
  5. Once the Keyboard dialog opens, click on the Shortcuts tab.

Now you can set shortcuts for a great number of things, and you can create custom shortcuts as well. While in tis dialog, be sure to go to the System category and set a keyboard shortcut (I just used the standard ALT+F2 shortcut) for the entry labeled Show the run command prompt. this will re-enable the Run command dialog.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you.

Take care.
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

01-Mar-2012, 03:57 AM #4
Sorry I wasn't around for a while guys.. thanks, but neither of your posts answers my question.. I guess my question wasn't specific.. or descriptive.. I had typed a really long post, I was fiddling about with my Compiz settings, and my computer "hanged" or hung, whichever you prefer.

My real question was, is there a way to simulate keypresses in Linux, and what commands are issued to Unity when I press a key combination, say Super+w. When I press a combination, I get a result, in this case, a window switcher. However, I do not know what commands are sent to Unity. I was asking if anyone knew what commands are sent to Unity when I press those key commands
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

01-Mar-2012, 03:59 AM #5
Hey everyone! I got it! I searched in the Advanced Search option in Compiz settings, then I searched for <Super>w and found what the option is called: Scale. Now I went to the Scale option in the general settings of compiz, and there I went to the "Bindings" tab, and found that I could assign an edge, a button, or a key combination from right there! So I issued my top left corner, and that solved the problem! Thanks everyone for taking your time to try and help me!
Member with 355 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Mar-2012, 04:10 AM #6
Although I wasn't much help, I am glad your problem is solved.

Best wishes.

Take care.
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

01-Mar-2012, 04:46 AM #7
At least you took your time.. that was quite a lot of effort you took to type in a long post like that.. so, thank you
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
compiz, expose, hot corner, key press simulation, ubuntu

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!