Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Linux and Unix Linux and Unix
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Linux Mint HDD Help?

(!)

Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
16-Apr-2012, 10:37 PM #1
Linux Mint HDD Help?
So, I have downloaded Linux Mint on my external hard drive, and needed help with the installation of it. If this shows interest, I will give more information.
Member with 3 posts.

16-Apr-2012, 11:01 PM #2
Actually, heres more information. I want to install it, but I am not sure what setting to install it with.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
16-Apr-2012, 11:11 PM #3
What do you mean by "setting"?

Have you made a CD of the iso file?
Member with 3 posts.

16-Apr-2012, 11:12 PM #4
Oops. By setting I mean Installation Type. I got so far as there, and do not know what do next.

What do I need a CD for?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
17-Apr-2012, 12:21 AM #5
OK. Let's start at the beginning.

What make and model of machine do you have now? Is there an operating system on it?

Was it an iso file that you downloaded (an iso is a CD image)?

What have you done so far?
Member with 580 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Apr-2012, 03:44 AM #6
Look here: "Chapter 5: Installing Linux" - http://www.linuxnewbieguide.org/cont...stalling-linux

(A bit old, but still good)
Computer Specs
Member with 570 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Apr-2012, 12:45 AM #7
Installation of Linux Mint is perhaps the easiest one!! You can either choose a CD or use a software like Unetbootin(for Linux) to put the iso file on a USB drive and install the OS further from it.No matter what you make CD/DVD or USB you have to boot with it and follow the onscreen instructions.As Elvandil told , the thing depends on the OSes you have already installed and also the partitions of HDD(internal).If you have a dedicated partition,the task is simple.Just select the partition and install it.
Computer Specs
Member with 19 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-May-2012, 03:59 AM #8
Doing an Install actually is pretty easy. The most complicated portion is when you get to the partitioning and adjusting the size of your existing partition to make space for Linux Mint. After you have made the DVD from the ISO file you downloaded, you can then boot your system with the DVD and start your install.

Personally i use the gparted partitioning software before i do the install to adjust and make the partitions for the Linux. The biggest problem today is with many Major brand systems they now create 4 primary partitions which eliminates any ability to make changes without deleting a partition first and deciding which one is ok to do that with or how to get around that issue is the biggest issue. The other option is install your Mint in Windows Virtual PC which then requires no special Partitioning knowledge or HD informational skills. If you are able to create the Extended partition, you can then create three logical partitions 1. for the OS or the / partition. 2. for the SWAP which should be 2-3 times the size of your existing memory. 3. for the HOME or Data directory or /home area of the system which contains all of your user files. The OS section can be as small as 8gb, but i usually make 20gb for the OS and the HOME area is what is ever left over for your personal files.

The rest is easy as the copy process continues from that point on and then completes.

Good Luck.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!