Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Linux and Unix Linux and Unix
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Download problems

(!)

Member with 4 posts.

23-Apr-2012, 04:06 PM #1
Post Download problems
recently ive tried to download several softwares from the software centre and as soon as i press install, it says that it failed to download package files and to check internet connection, this happened many time whist connected to several different networks, it also says that it requires the installation of untrusted package from an unuthenticated source.

please help me to resolve this problem because there are alot of softwares i cant download
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,349 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Apr-2012, 06:46 PM #2
What software center are you referring too? Can you post the website or software you are trying to download?
Member with 4 posts.

25-Apr-2012, 11:11 PM #3
the ubuntu software center itself, the ont that comes with it, im using Ubuntu v11.10, the icon is this this orange bag with light coming out of it
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,349 posts.

26-Apr-2012, 08:19 AM #4
I'll move your thread to the Linux section, we can see if anyone there can help you.
Member with 580 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Apr-2012, 09:38 AM #5
Connect to the Internet.Open a Terminal. Issue the following commands one-by-one:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get --fix-missing install
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get update

Does it work now? Do you get any error messages?

Tip: You do not need to type commands into the Terminal. Highlight the command written on the web page. Move your cursor anywhere in the Terminal and press your mouse wheel or mouse middle button. Automatic Copy and paste! No spelling mistakes! No Typos! No other errors!
Member with 4 posts.

26-Apr-2012, 03:08 PM #6
i tried it and it still doesnt work, it gives me "failed to install packages" and the telling me that it requires the installation of untrusted packages. the internet is not a problem, its the software centre thats not working
Member with 4 posts.

28-Apr-2012, 09:23 AM #7
and now my os is not allowing to update anything... same problem as before about the un uthorised source and stuff
Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

02-May-2012, 05:31 PM #8
The 'untrusted packages' error is related to gpg signature signing, and could mean you haven't the keyring setup.

http://aplawrence.com/Basics/gpg.html

But this is a non-crucial issue if you are using the offical Ubuntu mirrors.

Try installing the same packages at the command line and paste the output here, and it will be easier to suss the problem:

Code:
sudo apt-get install nameofpackage
It could be an issue with the mirrors that you are using. Is the 'untrusted packages' new to you then?

Last edited by Antimath; 02-May-2012 at 11:36 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 19 posts.

13-May-2012, 03:31 AM #9
My question would be Do you have enough HD space and are you using the Root or admin authorization? Do you have more than one User and are you using the right password? You may want to boot and when you see GRUB go to the second line and go to the restore area and see if you can get it to do the updates that may be required to fix possibly some broken packages.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
software, ubuntu

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!