Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Linux and Unix Linux and Unix
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

The Debian Administrator's Handbook

(!)

Member with 355 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-May-2012, 01:05 AM #1
The Debian Administrator's Handbook
Hello, everyone.

I am not sure how many of you may know of this, but if this is something which is commonly known here, then I apologize for redundant information.

I love Linux books, expecially the free ones. Tehre is actually a lot of good free, legal material out there as I have come to find, and this is great because I have a very tight budget. Anyhow, I have been keeping an eye on the liberation of a great book titled The Debian Administrator's Handbook. This book evidently has sold many, many copies in the French language, but the authors of the book (who happen to be Debian developers) wanted to liberate the book and to translate it into the English langauge. according to this blog post the book should be released within the next few weeks.

Although the book is written for Debian, most, if not all things written in the book should also be applicable to Debian-based distributions such as Ubuntu.

I just thought I would share this in case anyone would happen to be looking for a book which would help in the administration of Debian (or Debian-based) distributions.

Once again, if this is redundant information, I sincerely apologize.

Take care.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
02-May-2012, 01:20 AM #2
Thanks for the info. I almost zapped you because it looked like an ad. But since it's free, we'll let it go.

I haven't seen this mentioned before anywhere.
Member with 355 posts.

02-May-2012, 01:31 AM #3
Sorry for the red flag, Elvandil.

I actually saw a reference to this book many months ago as part of a post on the Linux MInt blog. I cannot find that post at this time, but that is where I actually first heard of it. It looks like it si going to be a great book.

And once again, I apologize for the red flag.
Computer Specs

02-May-2012, 02:21 AM #4
No problem. You didn't do anything to apologize for.

But, technically-speaking, since this is not a tech "problem", it would really belong in the "Tips" section. But it looks like a good book that a lot of people would be interested in, so I'm just going to leave it here for now. I may move it in a few days, if I remember.
Member with 355 posts.

02-May-2012, 02:48 AM #5
Thanks. I am definitely looking foreard to getting a copy of it.
Computer Specs

02-May-2012, 03:03 AM #6
I'm actually a worshipper at the altar of Knoppix and variants. It also has Deb and Ian to thank, of course, so anyone interested in any of that family should find it very useful. Debian packages can be installed, and with persistence, they stay installed even from the live DVD or CD.
Member with 355 posts.

10-May-2012, 08:33 PM #7
Fresh off the press...
Hello, everyone.

According to this blog post made today, The Debian Administrator's Handbook is now avaialble. it can be purchased in printed form or downloaded freely in three formats--PDF, EPUB, and Mobipocket.

While I was in no part a contributor to this project due to income restraints and lack of knowing what else I could do, I am very excited that this book is available freely to the world.

You can get the book here.

I hope that this will be a help and blessing to users of both Debian and debian-based systems.

Take care.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!