Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Linux and Unix Linux and Unix
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Help needed ASAP-Software Index now broken, can't install anything.

(!)

Member with 21 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-May-2012, 04:37 AM #1
Unhappy Solved: Help needed ASAP-Software Index now broken, can't install anything.
Hello.

I've had Ubuntu 11.04 ('Natty Narwhal', as they call it. ), installed inside Windows and as a dual boot for about a month now and I'm already very much addicted to it. Unfortunately, maybe 40 minutes ago this morning something went wrong.

My computer is a Toshiba Satellite and has had a few overheating issues in the past. though nothing too serious has happened, not yet, anyhow.

Anyway, today, I was attempting to install 'Kate', the text editor, and another program like it, as an alternative to Open Office so I can work on multiple platforms at the same time. Not long after I started installing these two programs, though, my computer suddenly turned off. This has happened a few times before but never had it affected the system. Unfortunately, this time, there was a problem; the system informed me that the software index was broken, somehow.

I've already tried the Terminal option, but without success.

I have come to the conclusion that a repair of my system may be the only feasible option for me, since I'm no tech wiz: is there any way I can repair my Ubuntu installation easily, and can I avoid losing my data?

Please, I desperately need the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Help needed ASAP-Software Index now broken, can't install anything.-ubuntu5.jpg  
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,489 posts.

22-May-2012, 09:16 AM #2
Quote:
and can I avoid losing my data?
If the data is important you have at least one other copy on different media, right? So, when contemplating something risky with the OS it's wise to have at least two other copies in case the hard drive copy is lost.

It appears that you can still boot into the system. If you can access the data make sure you have at least one, but preferably two, copies on CD, DVD, external hard drive, USB flash drive, etc.

I cannot help on your primary issues.
Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Beginner
22-May-2012, 11:44 AM #3
According to the screenshot you typed in a ':'
The correct line is
stevenspc@ubuntu:-$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
Member with 21 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-May-2012, 03:03 PM #4
Everything's fine now.
Thanks everyone. Fortunately, I was able to solve the problem thanks to a solution provided by plucky on the Ubuntu forums. It was merely a case of running the command line sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/* -vf followed by the more standard sudo dpkg --configure -a .

I'm gonna try to familarize myself with some of the code sometime to make things easier on me, so I'd (hopefully) have an easier time solving problems.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
fix, repair, ubuntu, urgent

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!