Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Linux and Unix Linux and Unix
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Linux as a server

(!)

Member with 1,315 posts.

Experience: Beginner
31-May-2012, 07:08 AM #1
Exclamation Linux as a server
hi guys,

came across a linux system for a shop...and i really want to mess around with this stuff
it was vmware player with red hat as a guest.

i want to build a virtual environment to learn more about Linux.
i have slackware 13 installed as a vm on my desktop.

but i want to install a server and connect to it using terminal etc.
what is a good free linux server? can slackware be used as a server...or is it apache (thought that was just a web server)

i want to have a virtual server and virtual client and connect and explore with them...
will you pay a lot for a linux server?

any info appreciated
pk
Member with 355 posts.

Experience: Advanced
31-May-2012, 10:19 PM #2
hello, PK-her0.

Actually, you can run many different servers on top of practically any Linux distribution. For instance, i have a small server runnnig on my Ubuntu 12.04 desktop system which i use to stream media from my computer to devices around my home (such as my Roku player or an Xbox 360).

Apache, as mentioned in your post, is actually a Web server which can be installed on top of a LInux distribution, or in some cases is included in some distributions by default. My way of explaining this may be incorrect (and if it is then would someone with more experience please correct me) is through this analogy:

A Linux distribution is kind of like a plain. You can use the distribution as-is, or you can use it as a platform on which to install and configure multiple different servers (such as a Web server, a mail server, etc). I know that, at least statistically, Debian (which is free and open source) is one distribution which leads in the server market. I know of many who use it as a standalone desktop system, and I have seen others who use it to host Web sites and do other things.

I run Ubuntu as my main deskto system (I migrated away from Windows about five years ago), and I have been able to get a Web server (Apache), a SFTP server, and an SSH server up and going fairly easily. It took some time and a lot fo reading (mainly because I knew next to nothing about servers), but in the end thigns were not so hard.

So as far as a server operating system goes, almost everythign (which I know of) in the LInux world as far as servers go are mainly free and open source.

I wish taht I could offer more advice to you on this, but there are others here on this forum who are much more knowledgeable in thsi area I am sure.
Member with 1,315 posts.

Experience: Beginner
01-Jun-2012, 07:46 AM #3
no your information was very helpful...i read that slackware is a very good place to start...

thanks again
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!