Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Linux and USB Microphones

(!)

Member with 355 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Jun-2012, 11:27 PM #1
Linux and USB Microphones
Hello, everyone.

I am currently running the 64-bit version of Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise Pangolin". For the past number of years I have had no need for a headset/microphone. As of the past few days, however, I have become involved in some projects which may need me to be a part of online conference calls in the near future. One individual recommended that I purchase an analog headset/microphone unit, while another recommended any USB unit.

I have practically no experience in this area, so I thought I would come here and ask. I have done numerous searches to find out which USB microphones work best with Linux (that would fall into my shoe-string budget). I cannot really afford any more than about $40 on a unit, and I would prefer to find a unit which is a headset/microphone combination.

Currently about the only hint that I have is that the Logitech H530 *should* work out of the box with Ubuntu 12.04.

I may not stick with Ubuntu once some accessibility features are implemented in GNOME 3.6, so I am sure that if something would work with Ubuntu then most likely it would work with other distributions as well.

Does anyone here have any recommendations as to a reasonably priced Linux compatible headset/microphone? And are there advantages in using a UsB unit over an analog unit?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Take care.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!