Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Linux and Unix Linux and Unix
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: How to change desktop effects in REMASTERED ubuntu 11.10

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 35 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Jun-2012, 10:59 AM #1
Solved: How to change desktop effects in REMASTERED ubuntu 11.10
I remastered Ubuntu 11.10 DVD version with UCK (ubuntu customisation kit) I was able to add lots of new application and the all worked perfectly well but i was only able to change a very few default theme, plymouth and background .. I did pre-install compiz but all has to be customized once again and my friends feel that is the same old ubuntu and they are not able to customize till the level I usually do, I am not able to customize the compiz settings , screenlets , dockx , startup applications , menu-style ,pannel settings and all those (after all how much can i do with the very little terminal in the UCK kit) ..... Can any one help to clone the exact desktop effects and such things so that my new Ubuntu will start with all these by default and the user wont have to customize anything and can immediately experience the true 3D effects of my remaster .. ( I DON MIND USING ANY OTHER REMASTER TOOLS)
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,140 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Jun-2012, 02:07 AM #2
Hi,
I don't think UCK has those features, I think it let's you build your own version installing what you want,which you then need to run (installed) and on that make any 'cosmetic' changes. Then once you've got that performing as you want (cubes, startup apps, effects etc) you could use Remastersys to creat a customised .iso from which you can burn distributable copies of your customised version.
Info on Remastersys in case ... "a tool that can be used to do 2 things with an existing Debian, Ubuntu or derivative installation.
  • It can make a full system backup including personal data to a live cd or dvd that you can use anywhere and install.
  • It can make a distributable copy you can share with friends. This will not have any of your personal user data in it."
http://www.remastersys.com/

Edit - Any reason you're using 11.10 as opposed to the new Long Term Support version 12.04? UCK for 12.04 here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+package/uck

Hope this helps?

Richard

Last edited by 1002richards; 10-Jun-2012 at 02:13 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 35 posts.

11-Jun-2012, 12:29 PM #3
Thanks for the reply ... I already tried remastersys and had the following headache with it

---> 1GB(additional softwares) + 700MB(default ubuntu) > DVD size ... Just adding softwares for about 1GB overflows 4.7GB ...
---> Operated more like "OS Clone and then Restore" instead of "OS Installation" ... and so had problems installing in OS with different hardware ....
---> Remastersys project is dropped and has no new support for latest Ubuntu 12.04 ..Its too old .....
Computer Specs

11-Jun-2012, 01:23 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikkyhacks View Post
T---> Remastersys project is dropped and has no new support for latest Ubuntu 12.04 ..Its too old .....
Sorry it did not work for you. But it's still alive & well and I'm using it in 12.04.
Computer Specs
Member with 35 posts.

12-Jun-2012, 01:09 AM #5
oops i went wrong there ... yes it is still alive and working ....
...... But u have any tricks for making it an installer instead of making it a clone/restore kinda type
Computer Specs

12-Jun-2012, 01:42 AM #6
Hi,
I take a basic Ubuntu (12.04) install, update, sudo apt-get remove what I don't want, sudo apt-get install what additions I do want; install & apply themes, icons etc. I don't save anything in MyDocs, My pics etc. I then use the option "make a full system backup including personal data to a live cd or dvd that you can use anywhere and install" (but there's no personal data of course).
I then create the .iso using Remastersys. It's then an installable backup - you can use the option "Install Release" and at install you can set a new user, password, and computer name.
It may be a "clunky" method, but it works for me.

Hope this helps?

Richard
Computer Specs
Member with 35 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 10:57 AM #7
Thanks it worked for me. ... yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!
Computer Specs

26-Jun-2012, 01:53 PM #8
Really glad to read that it helped!

Richard

Last edited by 1002richards; 26-Jun-2012 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Typos - lots of!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!