Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Linux and Unix Linux and Unix
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows to Linux Command Help

(!)

Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Beginner
15-Jun-2012, 10:01 AM #1
Question Windows to Linux Command Help
Hey people,

I was recently given help trying to restore my copy Windows XP and I asked a question in
THIS thread. I'm basically trying to fix my corrupt system files.
As you can see, I was given some commands to type in if I had command prompt with Windows XP, but I can't access XP and I'm running on Ubuntu right now. I have tried to translate the Windows XP commands into Linux ones:

Mkdir c:\windows\tmp

cp c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak cp c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak cp c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak cp c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak cp c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak
rm c:\windows\system32\config\system
rm c:\windows\system32\config\software rm c:\windows\system32\config\sam rm c:\windows\system32\config\security rm c:\windows\system32\config\default
cp c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
cp c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software cp c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam cp c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security cp c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

I would just like some advice from any Linux experts as to whether or not these commands
are correct and/or if it will work.
Please get back to me as soon as possible, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.
Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Beginner
15-Jun-2012, 10:05 AM #2
Sorry for the bunched up commands, it doesn't seem to like my formatting right now...
Member with 3,750 posts.

Experience: A Linux user gone nuts on multi-boot
16-Jun-2012, 05:13 AM #3
Two points relevant here

(1) Windows "copy" is similar to Linux "cp"
Windows "delete" is similar to Linux "rm"

Thus if you replace the Windows' commands with Linux equivalents then it should do the advised replacements

Additionally every "\" in Windows filenames have to be changed to "/". Therefore your syntax is correct.

You can always check the syntax by typing "--help" after each command in the same way typing "/?" with a Windows command. In Linux you can also type "man" in front of a command to read its manual.

(2) No an expert on MS Systems the change of the 5 files can be achieved with Linux as a root user or preceding command with "sudo" in a Ubuntu terminal. Ubuntu will know these are system files not owned by you so you can only change them with root privilege.

Whether the changes can cure your Xp is another matter.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
commands, convert, error, ubuntu, windows

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!