Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Linux and Unix Linux and Unix
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Install 12.04 on a 8.04 netbook

(!)

Member with 19 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jun-2012, 12:34 AM #1
Install 12.04 on a 8.04 netbook
I've got 12.04 on a thumbdrive, all 701mb of it. When I plug it into the netbook I get a write to disk window that wants to write the 701 mb to a file image. That's probably OK, but I would prefer to get rid of 8.04 first, but fdisk isn't working as advertised. Everytime I add an option to fdisk, bash tells me "command not found." I would like to do a clean install, but first I have to get a clean disk to install it on. None of the info on the disk is needed so I can wipe clean. When I get 12.04 on the netbook I'll do the network and etc later. So How do I do that?
Member with 584 posts.

21-Jun-2012, 07:12 AM #2
A bit more information is needed.

What have you got on the thumb drive? An ISO? One file? Or have you burnt the ISO to the thumb drive? (Using e.g. unetbootin.) Multiple files?

Which download did you use? The Desktop disk ? A LiveCD. The Alternate disk? A straight install.

Assuming that you have burnt the ISO to the thumb drive you do not need a clean disk. You just tell 12.04 to use the whole disk and it will overwrite everything.

Last edited by arochester; 21-Jun-2012 at 10:02 AM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,131 posts.

21-Jun-2012, 08:07 AM #3
"12.04" and "8.04" sound to me like Ubuntu, but since it may be Kubuntu or another of the many derivatives, or maybe even another distribution entirely, maybe you should specify the OS about which you are talking.
Computer Specs
Member with 180 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 12:00 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex View Post
I've got 12.04 on a thumbdrive, all 701mb of it. When I plug it into the netbook I get a write to disk window that wants to write the 701 mb to a file image. That's probably OK, but I would prefer to get rid of 8.04 first, but fdisk isn't working as advertised. Everytime I add an option to fdisk, bash tells me "command not found." I would like to do a clean install, but first I have to get a clean disk to install it on. None of the info on the disk is needed so I can wipe clean. When I get 12.04 on the netbook I'll do the network and etc later. So How do I do that?
To accomplish what you want, use unetbootin to put the 12.04 distro on the thumbdrive. Then it will boot on the netbook as if it were a LiveCD with an "Install" icon on the desktop. If you don't have any data on the 8.04 install you want to keep, then you can choose "Use the entire disk" option when you run "Install" from the thumbdrive. That will wipe the 8.04 install from the HDD and replace it with the 12.04.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
12.04 install, 8.04 wipe

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!