Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Linux and Unix Linux and Unix
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: fastest usb stick ?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 82 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 09:47 AM #1
Solved: fastest usb stick ?
Hi,
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad x200, 4gb ram, win 7 pro, ubuntu 12.04 64bit on a usb and an sd card.
Have noticed ubuntu runs slowly and freezes with a darkened screen. Originally thought it to be too many rss feeds and removed most of them but, the slow running still remains. This could simply be, the x200 is designed to run best with windows.
would a faster usb stick or sd card improve the running of ubuntu and what brand is a good recommendation ?
I've seen a scandisk extreme pro sd card with a speed of 95MB/s, would this be good to run ubuntu on my x200 ? I use LiLi USB software for ubuntu.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
04-Aug-2012, 09:54 AM #2
When does it freeze exactly? Remember that nothing is run from storage. All programs run from RAM long after they have been loaded from their storage location. It may not be the stick that is the problem.
Computer Specs
Member with 82 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 10:34 AM #3
It seems to freeze mostly when it's online. have tried turning 'javascript' and 'load images automatically' off and this helps a little but the freezing still happens. Dead slow compared to windows even though ubuntu 64bit is accessing all 4GB of the RAM.
Member with 1,690 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 12:04 AM #4
The way you "installed" Ubuntu onto that USB wasn't an actual "installation." All you did was basically create a LiveCD and put it on a USB stick.

I think you'd get better performance with an actual "installation".

The way to do that would be to create a Live CD/DVD, boot it up and choose "Install Ubuntu". Then install it directly onto your USB stick. For convenience, install the grub boot loader onto the USB stick instead of the main hard drive.
Computer Specs
Member with 82 posts.

10-Aug-2012, 02:16 PM #5
Now have a 64GB sandisk USB. Tried a full installation of Ubuntu 12.04 64bit, boot the live CD, choose install, when offered I choose 'something else' from installation type then get a choice table/menu, I make a partition of 10GB FAT32

/dev/sdb
/dev/sdb1 fat32 9999MB unknown
free space 54015MB

when trying to move on from that point get message;

no root file system is defined
please correct from partitioning menu

I'm stuck here
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

10-Aug-2012, 02:31 PM #6
Did you buy the drive from a legitimate source? It's about $40. If you bought it on eBay and/or paid significantly less, it's a fake.
Computer Specs
Member with 82 posts.

10-Aug-2012, 03:23 PM #7
Yes, it's a retail stick. came in a sealed packet and has sandisk security software installed, (unactivated)
$41.50
Computer Specs
Member with 82 posts.

10-Aug-2012, 03:51 PM #8
Read on the Ubuntu site earlier about installing to USB and it mentions about needing to be FAT16 partition. Eh ? I was told to format FAT32 for the live versions. This new USB arrived FAT32.
my brain, my brain, it does not compute.
Member with 1,690 posts.

10-Aug-2012, 04:43 PM #9
If you're trying to do an actual "installation" rather than a LiveUSB, then you need to format to EXT4.
Computer Specs
Member with 82 posts.

10-Aug-2012, 08:22 PM #10
The all new Ubuntu stick is in operation. EXT4 worked. First thing I did was to try it out online and again it's still sluggish and freezes ups with a darkened screen.
But it's early days. The install worked so thanks again.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!