Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Linux and Unix Linux and Unix
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Shocking ... Ubuntu on android phones !!!

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 35 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Aug-2012, 02:16 PM #1
Shocking ... Ubuntu on android phones !!!
I recently found out that ubuntu can be run on android, How is that small processor able to run such a huge desktop OS ??? Why do I need to have such a huge i7 processor for ubuntu when a small android phone is able to run It

Video Demo :
Computer Specs
Member with 141 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 02:54 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikkyhacks View Post
I recently found out that ubuntu can be run on android, How is that small processor able to run such a huge desktop OS ??? Why do I need to have such a huge i7 processor for ubuntu when a small android phone is able to run It
Well, you don't exactly need a fast processor for Ubuntu anyways xD I run it on an old Dell Dimension 2000 just fine. And the Android version is probably not the same distro you run on a normal computer - it most likely has some performance changes.
Computer Specs
Member with 35 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 01:44 PM #3
Just found out that Ubuntu needs only 700 MHz and these android phones have a processor with a speen of 1.5GHz and some also have a 2GB memory with them ....
http://www.phonegg.com/Top/Ram-Amount-Cell-Phones.html

.... Pretty sad I wont be able to run ubuntu in my cell phone cos my LG P350 has less than 700MHz
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 03:12 PM #4
Where did you read you need a Core i7 to run Ubuntu? That's absolutely not true. I actually watched that whole video, and the user experience of a desktop OS on a tiny phone screen looked miserable. I also didn't see him actually try to make a phone call.

You also need to be rooted, and I don't see anything on XDA Developers about rooting your phone.
http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/...ail-error.html

It appears you have a very low-end Android phone that's probably still running 2.2 Froyo. And you have a 2.3" screen. Trying to move a tiny mouse pointer around on a screen that small wouldn't be much fun.

This may be a neat hacking project, but it doesn't make for a usable phone. Ice Cream Sandwich on a large 4"+ screen is a great user experience.
Computer Specs
Member with 35 posts.

06-Aug-2012, 09:42 AM #5
I know that 700 MHz processor is enough to run ubuntu .... There are a lot of things were we could use that Ubuntu inside a small smartphone like that ... I don mean that it will replace a complete Desktop/Laptop but still that tiny little cute device can be put into many places with that linux for good use ...
Computer Specs
Member with 3,286 posts.

06-Aug-2012, 03:42 PM #6
If you are attempting to run Ubuntu on top of Android for anything other than proof-of-concept, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

It's an an early implementation of a hack.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!