Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Linux and Unix Linux and Unix
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Question about Ubuntu

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

Experience: Beginner
14-Aug-2012, 03:46 PM #1
Solved: Question about Ubuntu
When I boot up Ubuntu, it shows me the attached picture at the bottom of the screen. What does this mean?
Attached Images
(attached image) 

Last edited by JAILBR3AK3R; 14-Aug-2012 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: Left something out.
InterKnight InterKnight is offline   InterKnight has a birthday soon!
Member with 355 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Aug-2012, 04:25 PM #2
Hello, JAILBR3AK3R.

I do not have a complete answer for you, however one of the icons (the human-like figure to the right) is more than likely the a11y (Accessibility) icon which offers features to blind and other disabled users. I am actually a partially blind user, so I make use of the a11y menu frequently.

I am not quite sure what the other icon represents. For the most aprt I am not too good at recognizing symbols and pictures due to my poor vision, but as I said the human'like icon is more than likely the Accessibility icon, maybe indicating that accessibility features are available or started.

What version of Ubuntu are you using?
Does this appear on the Ubuntu logo screen which is displayed when the system is booting (before the login screen appears)?

I apologize that I cannot offer a more detailed and helpful answer to you.

Take care.
Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

14-Aug-2012, 04:34 PM #3
No its fine. And it happens during the bootup. I have left it for a about ten minutes (and counting) and its still on that screen.

I too am disabled with my vision, as I am blind in my left eye.

Thanks.
Member with 355 posts.

14-Aug-2012, 04:40 PM #4
Is this taking place on a live system (i.e. booting from a CD or flash drive) or is the system already installed to a hard disk?

Also, si this taking place on the latest version fo Ubuntu (version 12.04 "Precise Pangolin")?

While I am sorry to hear about your disability, it is nice to meet another blind user here on the forums.

I hae to leave shortly, but when I come back I will try to help you if I am able to. I had the same type of problem (a very slow boot-up) on a Ubuntu 12.04 live system running from a flash drive a month or two ago.
Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

14-Aug-2012, 04:47 PM #5
It is my first time booting and yes, it is the (version 12.04 "Precise Pangolin"). lol
Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

14-Aug-2012, 06:07 PM #6
And I'd also like to add that i'm trying to install on my hdd. Is it supposed to take longer than 15 minutes to boot up the first time?
Member with 355 posts.

14-Aug-2012, 08:32 PM #7
Hello there!

If your system is relatively new (as in say a few years old) then it should boot up pretty quickly. It could be that the image which you downloaded may be corrupt. I had this problem as well. On my machine (having a 64-bit processor and 4 GB of RAM) a Ubuntu live flash drive only took thirty through forty-five seconds to boot up, if that. I have a flash drive with Fedora 17 on it, and it boots up very quickly as well. It sounds like either Ubuntu is having difficulty due to hardware incompabbility or that the ISO image which was used could be corrupt. The second scenario is probably the most likely to be the case.

I had the same exact problem with Ubuntu 12.04 in particular, and I found that by downloading the ISO again and re-creating the live medium from scratch solved the problem.

It is amazing what one missing bit of data can cause to happen!

I would advise to get a new ISO image and try again, and hopefully this will solve your problem. If it does not then myself as well as others are here to help you get this situation resolved.

All the best!

Take care.
Account Disabled with 49 posts.

16-Aug-2012, 09:36 AM #8
press esc a menu should appear you can then choose to run it as a live cd or install
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!